Confused... Is there a law on when you have to change your name?

From the forum I've noticed a lot of us are married or getting married before our ceremonies in other countries. Is anyone or did anyone change their names BEFORE their DW? Or did you worry about it when you got back? Is there a law as to when you have to legally change your name (i.e. within 1 month of your legal marriage, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

There isn't a law or anything saying you have to change your name by a certain time. Most people wait until they get back from their DW to change their names b/c it takes some time to update documents (especially your passport). However, I've changed my name before our DW b/c my passport was expiring before our DW and I didn't want to go through the process twice on changing my passport. The crazy thing is I don't want friends and family to know we've already had our civil ceremony and that we're legally married before our DW so all of this has been kept secret. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiekiss View Post
There isn't a law or anything saying you have to change your name by a certain time. Most people wait until they get back from their DW to change their names b/c it takes some time to update documents (especially your passport). However, I've changed my name before our DW b/c my passport was expiring before our DW and I didn't want to go through the process twice on changing my passport. The crazy thing is I don't want friends and family to know we've already had our civil ceremony and that we're legally married before our DW so all of this has been kept secret. :-)
Wow, I can't believe no one asked you! We are going to Mexico in November, and we've already had relatives ask if we are having the legal ceremony there (I can tell they've been researching this... darn internet!). Our parents know that we are legally married, but we kind of were like you - we didn't really want the rest of the family and friends to know. How long did you guys keep it a secret? Any hints wink.gif?