Changing your name

Not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I was just reading all the postings about having a legal ceremony before you go to your destination wedding.

1. What is the actual process of changing your name. I am a teacher and would like to have this done as soon as I can because even though I don't really want to change my name, in the end it is the right thing to do and since I know I will change my name, I wanted to possibly start the new school year out with my new name.

2. If you get legally married in the states before hand, can you then start changing your name right away (okay I know that seems like a stupid question, but would it be weird to start the name change process before you even get married)

Christine - while I think a lot of us are doing the legal stuff before our DW, I think it would be best for you to wait to go thru the name change process until when you get back. Why you ask? Remember that you are travelling internationally, and you need a passport to do that. To keep it simple for yourself, stay with your maiden name until after you return from your wedding & honeymoon. Otherwise, you will need to accomplish all of the legal name change stuff BEFORE you actually leave for your wedding....might be a little pre-mature, right?

Even if your name isn't 100% legally changed by the beginning of the school year, of course you can always ask your students to call you by your married name. They'll never know :)

As soon as you get your new SS card, you employer can change your name in their records. (I think...this is how mine worked at least)

You should be able to file your name change at the school district quickly. When we got back from our honeymoon, I picked up the marriage certificate and went right to the social security office. Then the next day I went to my appointment at DMV.

The DMV gave me a temporary license and social security had given me some kind of paper to show to the DMV - so I walked out of both with what I needed.

They give you temporary documents that you can file with your school district to have your name changed. You keep your driver's license number and social security number. Just make appointments so that you are set when you get back.

Honestly, I am still going through the process of changing my name back from my first marriage. I have about half my stuff as my maiden name and the other half as my old married name. It's really rather easy to live with whatever name you want! I just started a new job and told them to hire me as my maiden name, even though my drivers lisence still says the old married name. Like I said - easier than you think.

Hey Christine,

I just finished this whole process. We got legally married 11-7 and our wedding day was 11-12.

You need a certified copy of your marriage license to do anything. What I would do is once you get married legally at the courthouse, send in the piece of paper with the payment (like $12 or something) BEFORE you leave for Mexico. That way, by the time you return from Mexico you will have the certified copy in your mail box. That it the main piece of paper you need to start anything.

I was bummed because I didn't think to do that and sent away for my certified copy when I returned and had to wait another two weeks to get the process going.

You first have to change your name at Social Security. You can fill out the form online first and either mail it in (with your birth certificate) or go down to the office (they take appointments). I chose to go into the office, because I hate waiting for the mail if I don't have to. There was an office close by my work. I went first thing in the morning, no appointment (with my paperwork filled out already & BC) and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Then the next day I had an appointment with the DMV and changed my name on my Drivers liscense. The DMV & SS office communicate and your information is transferred to the DMV within 24 hours of your name change at SS. You will still need your marriage license for the DMV (but they did not ask me for my birth certificate). After that I took my temporary drivers license and marriage license to my bank and they changed the names on my bank accout, issued me new checks and a new ATM card and that was it.

It was alot less of a pain than I expected. From there you can just call your credit cards and change everything else over the phone. A couple of them want me to send a copy of my new drivers license, so I am waiting until that arrives. But the important accounts were successfully changed!

Let me know if you have any questions??

Rebecca,

Thanks for the advice, I think that is a perfect idea. The resort said it would take 6-8 weeks to get the official marriage license from Jamaica and then I would already be back to work for the fall.