Gifts for Bride & Groom

My niece is getting married in Mexico and several family members will be attending. My question is - what sort of monetary gift is appropriate to give? Obviously, there won't be any gifts brought along, due to transporting them back and I almost always give a cash gift. Would you still give something similar to a gift for a wedding at home? I generally give $250 and up/per couple (depending on whether it's family or not), but adding in the cost of the trip - it's getting pretty expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Any monetary gift you decide to give is totally icing on the cake. We didn't expect any gifts from our guests, just the fact that they were there to celebrate with us was more of a gift than anything!!!!
I agree with Betsy, we don't expect anything so anything that anyone gives us is just a bonus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek View Post
I'm with Betsy. We didnt expect any gifts from anyone. I say give whatever you can. We got gifts ranging from $50 to $5000.
Thanks so much for all the input. I think $100 will do it, as it's just me - by myself - as my husband is not able to make it. I also am surprising her with some personalized fans for the ceremony. I feel for her too, as she and her husband to be are both architects and they both just got laid off from their jobs. Not alot of building going on these days...frown.gif