All Inclusive Resorts specifics

vness33

I've never stayed at an all-inclusive resort. I'd love to hear some feedback about these resorts. From what I know of, all-inclusive means free activities, meals, and drinks. Are there restrictions that I should know about? As for activities, I know the resort lists their available free activities.

I'm only expecting about 20 guests total. I don't think we will qualify for group rates, or intend on having a formal reception. And it seems like the costs per night versus a non inclusive resort are similar. Am I wrong? Is all-inclusive a money saver or more expensive?

How does this work for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? What about alcohol? Can I go to any bar or restaurant at anytime of the day whether it be 10am or 11pm and grab a drink or a meal?

I think all inclusives are great because you really do get your moneys worth. It really depends on your all inclusive. Most usually have at least one bar like the lobby bar open all day. The pool bars are usually just open during pool hours. Some have restaurants that have dress codes (closed shoes, long pants, etc). Some require you to make reservations for dinner at the restaurants other ai's you can just go to the restaurant without a reservation. Some ai's limit how many times you can eat dinner at an a la carte restaurant during your stay.

For breakfast the ones i stayed at all had buffets. Lunch would be a buffet, some of the ai's also had a little beach grill to eat at too (burgers, hotdogs, that kind of thing). Dinner they usually have buffets and a la cart restaurants.

You can go on tripadvisor or expedia and look at each resort your interested in usually in the description it will tell you the hotel policies on dinner reservations, activities, what time bars are open, etc.

I stayed at an AI in Riviera Maya. There were buffet and restaurant options for all meals. The lobby bar was open the latest and they had a 24 hour place for snacks and self serve drinks. All rooms were stocked with beer and liquor dispensors. Most AI's also have 24 hour room service. Our group of friends are big partiers so the all inclusive was the best option.

From my experience with AI it can change with each resort. Typically only non-motorized activities are included. Others are considered excursions and cost extra.

As for the food and drink. AI typically means that your food and drinks are included. Some resorts say that you can visit all restaurants, as many times as you like. Some limit how many times you visit each restaurant. I have friends that have been to place that decide how many 'restaurants' you can go to depending on the length of your stay. Some resorts require reservations, so do not take reservations.

A lot of resorts have a buffet that is open all day, then certain restaurants are open for certain meals. Typically there are bars and snack places throughout the resort. With AI you typically get room service and the mini bar included.

As far as price I think it can depend. For non-drinker an AI may not be the best for their money BUT with an AI you don't have to worry about a bill at the end of your stay like on a cruise.

All inclusives are a great way to save money because, like everyone has mentioned, the food and drinks are included. This is also stress free for your guests who don't have to worry about spending more money when they get there.

The only issue I've had at all-inclusives is the complicated process of getting reservations at a la carte restaurants. Particularly if you're with a larger group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCruz View Post
The only issue I've had at all-inclusives is the complicated process of getting reservations at a la carte restaurants. Particularly if you're with a larger group.
I was in Playa del Carmen at an AI for a wedding. We found a small tip to be the way to get a reservation for our large party. If they could not put us all together they would at least try and get us close. We did the same for our bartenders at the pool and we always had another cocktail before the last one was finished! shots.gif