As you guys know, I am getting married in Fiji and well... my choices and my budget for a photographer and videographer is meager...I couldnt afford paying for someone from the States or Japan to come so I booked a local guy. He has a website and everything but I am still worried. Is it rude to send examples of photos to him for him to get an idea of what I want?

no its not rude at all. BUT at the same time you cant also expect one photographer to shoot the type of pictures that you want if he/she isnt that type of photographer. for example you can ask a jazz musician to play a rock song and they might be able to give it a good try but you wont get the same sound as a rock musician.

i always welcome a list or samples of waht they like and ill do what i can to accompany them but sometimes its just best to find a photographer along the lines of waht you are looking for.

on the other hand if it is along their style of photography then a set of samples is great because most photographers want to ensure that you get all the photos you are looking for :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohappy View Post
I think its impt that there's an understanding of what you want. You won't be able to redo the day. I thought it was common for brides to show pics/make a list of what they're hoping for but i'm not a photographer. I was planning to do the same thing.
it is VERY important that you and your photographer have an understanding and that you are on the same page. otherwise you might end up with two different styles.

the best way to ensure you are though is to look at complete weddings and not just the select few photos on their website. see that you are happy with the entire day and how he or she captures the day. maybe you really like the candids but not the posed shots or visa versa.

give them a list of photos and ask them if those are possible. also maybe they have to get a specific lens for a type of shot that you are wanting. that will ensure that they are prepared for that.