Sending Invitations during the Holiday Rush?

Hi girls - I'm super-excited because I finalized our invitations this morning! I love, love, love them. They are letterpress and beautiful! :) I'll post a picture once they are in!

I have already sent out STD's and we are only having about 30 to 40 guests --- so we have a pretty good idea of who is coming and who is not! But, we wanted to do formal invitations as well.

We are getting married on March 8th. I need to release the rooms in our block that we aren't going to be using by January 15th. So - I would like to have the RSVP replies in by January 4th. Shannon - who is designing and doing the letterpress - suggested mailing them on December 21st so that they hit mailboxes the following week ... most likely after Christmas. She recommended having a short reply time because it encourages people to not procrastinate sending them back!

Am I smoking crack thinking that I am actually going to get replies during the holiday rush?

On the one hand, it is not critical that they come in by the 4th ... I'll just be on the phone calling people that we're still waiting for confirmation from ... but, on the other hand - it would be nice to have them back.

It seems like I get most holiday cards earlier in December ... so, in my head, I thought that maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal. But as the holiday craziness is setting in --- I'm starting to get a bit worried.

What do you think?

I sent out the invites in late October asking for a November 30 RSVP, b/c I didn't want to send them during the holidays. I do think they can/will get lost in the shuffle.

We've had about 25% response so far, and with 168 invites, that's not too bad so far.

I think as long as you realize you ARE going to be doing a lot of your own legwork after the New Year to get answers from people, then you'll be fine.

Our final count is due January 15 as well (for an April 19 wedding) ... so this way anyone we see / talk to over the holidays -- we can ask about their RSVP if they haven't sent it back to us by then.

Do you have a hefty guest list?

hey corey, i think as long as you're prepared to do medium to a lot of legwork in january, you should be ok. since you already talked to most people and know who's coming and who isn't, i don't think it will be too bad. i just hope that your wording either let them know that the room block has to be released by jan 15 (can you get a little extension on that at all with the holidays being so closehuh.gif we asked for an extension to sign our contract and they were really cool about it) or that you've spoken to people to let them know you have to let the rooms go by then.

Thanks Maura and Tami! We're only sending out a total of 33 invitations and are really expecting just around 35 to be able to attend (after subtracting grandmothers who won't be able to attend, friends we know have other commitments, etc.). On one of the STD pages it said "We'll miss you if we don't hear from you by Jan. 15th ...." So, hopefully with the formal invitations will remind people to let us know! I'm feeling a little better about it ... Thanks for your feedback! It always helps!

• VIP Member

If they arrive in people's mailboxes after Christmas I think that'd be a good thing. I would actually send them maybe on the 24th just to insure that they get there about two days after Christmas. That's usually when things settle down and it will give people something to get excited about again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyphil View Post
Am I smoking crack thinking that I am actually going to get replies during the holiday rush?

What do you think?
In short, yes. Sorry honey, but unless your guests are a totally different breed than any of the ones I dealt with, or any of the other ladies on here dealt with, I would say you are definitely smoking crack!

I had a similar time frame as you (wedding 3/17, needed "final" numbers 1/31), and I waited & sent mine after the first of the year. Honestly, you are going to have to hound people anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa View Post
In short, yes. Sorry honey, but unless your guests are a totally different breed than any of the ones I dealt with, or any of the other ladies on here dealt with, I would say you are definitely smoking crack!

I had a similar time frame as you (wedding 3/17, needed "final" numbers 1/31), and I waited & sent mine after the first of the year. Honestly, you are going to have to hound people anyway.
Thank you, thank you for your honest answer! :)

It's so easy to get caught up in my own little wedding world ... and then suddenly I'm like "wait a minute ... would you send an RSVP back in the middle of the holidays?" I should know better .... I'm the world's worst about replying!

I think I'll just send them - but after Christmas - and plan to make a lot of calls at the beginning of the year! :)