I posted this question on another thread but there were no takers sad.gif Hopefully I'll have more luck here!

For anyone who has had an outdoor wedding reception on or near the beach:

1. How windy did it get throughout the cocktail hour/reception? Were your guests always comfortable?

2. And more importantly, would you still choose to have an outdoor reception if you could do it over? Why?

I am having second thoughts over having my wedding outdoors. Based on the last 2 times I went to Cancun, it was very windy in the evenings and not the ideal environment I would envision for a reception. My FI is pushing the idea but I dont want to risk having my guests be uncomfortable. Plus I HATE being cold!!!! Any thoughts?

Hello Lalanyc !

It was very windy the whole time for my wedding - the ceremony, the cocktail hour and the dinner. Everything was outdoors - or kind of outdoors for the restaurant, that was covered but with no walls.

It did not seem to bother anybody (except me, because the little vases I had for my sand ceremony could not stand on the table because of the wind and it was also difficult to find a place where to set the place cards without them blowing away - we ended up setting them in a tray full of sand ! My veil was also blowing everywhere).

It never got cold. The wind is not chilly at all and the temprature was very warm. Plus, we had lots of food and drinks and dancing and it was actually very refreshing. People ended up in the pool at 4am, so I believe they were not cold wink.gif

I would not change anything in the way I did it. I went to Mexico to be able to enjoy outdoors - I live in Houston and here, it's impossible to be outdoors in other months than April or October because it's too hot and humid - and I did not want a reception in a closed, banal hotel reception room.

The night of our welcome dinner it was really windy. But the night of the wedding there was a nice breeze and it was really comfortable.

Can't really do too much about the weather...it's hit or miss so why worry about?

But in my opinion I say do it outside!! That's the beauty in a DW, you can have an indoor wedding anywhere. If you're worried about you or your guests being cold just tell everyone to bring a sweater or pashminas makes great favors for everyone to take home.

The night of my rehearsal dinner it was not windy, but on my wedding day it was. It was also really windy a few nights before. I did not wear a veil because of the wind and woudl tell you to do the same. I woudl still have it outside though. Totally worth it. (also, the wind is good in some ways b/c it decreases the amount of bugs. I was covered in bug bites from the days/nights when it wasnt windy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask9999 View Post
The night of my rehearsal dinner it was not windy, but on my wedding day it was. It was also really windy a few nights before. I did not wear a veil because of the wind and woudl tell you to do the same. I woudl still have it outside though. Totally worth it. (also, the wind is good in some ways b/c it decreases the amount of bugs. I was covered in bug bites from the days/nights when it wasnt windy).
I took the veil off after the pics wink.gif

At the beach, its hit or miss with wind. I'd say that we have experienced big big wind over in Cozumel... In the RM, its strong some days and others, its not.

Generally speaking, the winter months (Jan-March) are the strongest wind months...this comes from my kite surfing buddies who are veterans to Playa del carmen and this entire area.

SOME reception locations actually have built in wind blockers for receptions... so, the location can be outside in a Palapa or a deck / terrace area and also have wind protection in case of high winds.... SO my recommendation is to ask about this kind of thing with the places you are investigating.

Recently, I shot this wedding in Tulum at Ana y Jose. BIG wind, but they had plastic or maybe it was nylon panels that unroll and really block out the wind. NOBODY complained and it was a cool evening in early March this year.

Sangeeta + Cristian - Photos by Matt Adcock

I've seen this kind of thing a lot, FYI... crossing our fingers they have this option for you and that any future brides reading this will remember to ask these kind of questions if WIND is a concern.

saludos,

Mateo del Sol

+ WIND equals BIG BIG veil shots too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Adcock View Post
SOME reception locations actually have built in wind blockers for receptions... so, the location can be outside in a Palapa or a deck / terrace area and also have wind protection in case of high winds.... SO my recommendation is to ask about this kind of thing with the places you are investigating.

+ WIND equals BIG BIG veil shots too :)
Good post... two things :
- at my hotel they indeed had some screens on the side of the beach, so the location was still pretty open but I think one or two screens were down for the dinner
- I have fantastic pics of my veil in the wind... I would defiinitely go for it (at the beginning I did not want one and changed my mind after seeing so many beautiful pics with it)