Rehersal Dinner is it a "MUST"

A DW is not a tradional wedding so do what you want to do! I like the idea of a lunch/ brunch- it will save some $$ also. We are planning a welcome dinner/ get together the night before the wedding. I also wanted to do a farewell breakfast but we decided against it.

No nothing like that my WC is actually really really sweet and has gone above and beyond what FI and I could've ever hoped for. Shes been there every step of the way and always willing to do more. We really do understand the why shes a bit hesitant of a rehearsal dinner the night before. Our wedding is early in the afternoon on Sunday and will go on from 1:30pm till about 8:00pm. Its mainly a concern of how long Saturday night might be if everyone is having fun etc. and worries about the early wake up and everything else in the middle.

I was just unsure about how it would look if we didnt have a rehearsal dinner and had just a welcome small early thing that Saturday. I think the ideas of early cocktails or even an early dinner would probably work best =)...Ty ladies again for your input!

I don't think a rehearsal dinner is a must for a DW. We are having a rehearsal with just the wedding party so we know what to do and where to stand during the ceremony. Instead of a rehearsal dinner we are chartering a catamaran and taking everyone snorkeling and swimming for a few hours.

I think if you just have a welcome cocktail party that is enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's necessary to have a rehearsal dinner, but I do think it's really nice to have some sort of event before the actual wedding. I've been to quite a few destination weddings, and think it makes a really big difference. The weddings were everyone had an opportunity to meet & mingle before were much more fun for the guests (and the bride & groom). A cocktail reception with passed h'ordeuvres is an economical option...

Can someone clarify? I thought a rehearsal dinner was only for the people involved in the actual ceremony and you get together after you rehearse. Are guests supposed to be involved in the rehearsal dinner? We're planning on having a thank you sunset dinner cruise after the wedding with everyone. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyl875 View Post
Can someone clarify? I thought a rehearsal dinner was only for the people involved in the actual ceremony and you get together after you rehearse. Are guests supposed to be involved in the rehearsal dinner? We're planning on having a thank you sunset dinner cruise after the wedding with everyone. Thanks.
It's really up to you! With a DW it's not traditional, but people make it as traditional as they want.

For us, we are having:
Welcome Drinks on Thursday, (for those who are there)
Rehearsal Dinner (for family, bridal party, and readers and our friend who's playing the guitar for our 1st dance) on Friday (just dinner, no rehearsing, I think everyone of our bridal party members knows how to walk down the isle at the chapel)
Wedding - Saturday
Brunch - Sunday (for anyone who wants to come)

It's really your call. But ours are included, we aren't paying extra
Welcome drinks (included)
Rehearsal dinner (included)
Wedding dinner (included)
Brunch (included)

So the more times I can make an optional get together, the better =)