Our Ceremony

This post goes along with this thread: http://bestdestinationwedding.com/f/wedding_forum/t1199

I thought I would post a copy of our ceremony. We pieced it together using other sites such as indiebride.com so I can't take credit for actually WRITING much of it. It may be helpful for you brides who also have to write your own ceremony.

Janet & Andrew

November 11, 2006 • 4:30 pm

Cabo Surf Hotel

CJ: (speaking to audience) We are gathered here today between the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean to witness and celebrate the coming together of Andrew and Janet in marriage, to be with them, and to rejoice with them in the making of this important commitment, the essence of which is accepting another person in their entirety as lover, companion and friend.

The fact that so many people have traveled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have in their lives. Janet and Andrew would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate this wonderful occasion with them.

One of those dear friends who has traveled so far is Amie, who will read from Louis de Bernieres†“Corelliâ€s Mandolin.â€

Amie: "Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two."

CJ: Love is a quality of spirit and an attitude of the emotions, but marriage is a lifeâ€s work. Into this state of marriage these two persons have come today to be united.

Marriage should provide spiritual growth and discovery for both of you, expanding your capacity for love, intimacy, and joy. The intentions you will jointly pledge today should act as a guide for the future.

To explore the world together.

To always be truthful and love fearlessly.

To live your dreams.

To meet in unconditional love.

To be a happy family.

These desires will give meaning and strength to your marriage.

Janetâ€s longtime friend Katie will now read a poem by Pablo Neruda.

Katie:

And now youâ€re mine. Rest with your dream in my dream.

Love and pain and work should all sleep, now.

The night turns on its invisible wheels,

And you are pure beside me as a sleeping ember.

No one else, Love, will sleep in my dreams. You will go,

We will go together, over the waters of time.

No one else will travel through the shadows with me,

Only you, ever green, ever sun, ever moon.

Your hands have already opened their delicate fists

And let their soft drifting signs drop away;

Your eyes closed like two gray wings, and I move

After, following the folding water you carry, that carries

Me away. The night, the world, the wind spin out their destiny.

Without you, I am your dream, only that, and that is all.

CJ: Janet and Andrew, You have known each other for three and a half years, through the first glance of acquaintance to this moment of commitment. One year ago today, you decided to marry.

From that moment of yes until this moment of Yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or on long walks—all those sentences that began with “When weâ€re married†and continued with “I will and you will and we willâ€â€”those late-night talks that included “someday†and “somehow†and “maybeâ€â€”and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of marrying.

The symbolic vows you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things weâ€ve promised and hoped and dreamed—well, I meant it all, every word.â€

Hold hands now and face one another to make your vows.

Before this moment, you have been many things to one another—friend, companion, lover, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never be quite the same between you. For after these vows you shall say to the world:

This—is my husband. This—is my wife.

Andrew, please repeat after me.

I, Andrew, do take you, Janet,

To be the wife of my days / the companion of my house /

The friend of my life / and the mother of our children /

We shall bear together / whatever trouble and sorrow / life may lay upon us /

And we shall share together / whatever good and joyful things / life may bring us /

With these words / and all the words of my heart / I marry you / and bind my life to yours.

Janet, please repeat after me.

I, Janet, do take you, Andrew,

To be the husband of my days / the companion of my house /

The friend of my life / and the father of our children /

And we shall share together / whatever good and joyful things / life may bring us /

With these words / and all the words of my heart / I marry you / and bind my life to yours.

Jim, do you have the rings? (Janet hands bouquet to Karlyn).

These rings are a symbol of your everlasting love and the vows of commitment you have made today.

Andrew, placing the Ring on Janetâ€s finger, repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed.

Janet, placing the Ring on Andrewâ€s finger, repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed.

Andrew and Janet, cherish each moment together, savor every breath, and grow with each experience so that an attitude of celebration will stay with you for all of your days.

Give to one another new experiences of joy. Challenge one another so that you may grow. May the love you hold for each other, now sealed in marriage, continue to mature with the passing years. May you never take each other for granted, but always experience the wonder of your union. Be slow to anger, quick to forgive, leaving no tracks of resentment behind each day. May your love consist not only in gazing into each other's eyes, but also in looking outward in the same direction. May your life together be a source of strength and inspiration to yourselves, your families, your friends, and to all whose lives you touch.

With friends, and family, along with the sun, the moon, and the sea, I have the pleasure of announcing you as husband and wife.

You may kiss the bride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABUMBAH View Post
beautiful ceremony cheesy.gif

I actually also plan to use "Union" in my vows also. I read it to my friend last summer before her wedding and couldn't even make it though without crying - I am going to return the favor and have her do it as a reading.
oh that will be perfect. I feel kinda bad that we didn't give credit to the author in our ceremony, but I didn't know how to have our officiant stand up there and be like.......Okay, everything I am reading was written by someone else.....Now you're married! (It was a lot easier to credit the writers of the shorter readings done by friends)

• 8 months later...

Wanted to bring this thread back to life because I was searching for ACTUAL vows, in addition to the Hand and Sand Ceremonies. I LOVE these vows, Janet!!! I've copied them into Word for possible thieving rights!!!

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you for sharing!!

Here's another link with several BDW vows as well .. http://bestdestinationwedding.com/fo...ding-vows.html (There are a lot of these threads, but this one has numerous vows within it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANET1111 View Post
This post goes along with this thread: http://bestdestinationwedding.com/f/wedding_forum/t1199

I thought I would post a copy of our ceremony. We pieced it together using other sites such as indiebride.com so I can't take credit for actually WRITING much of it. It may be helpful for you brides who also have to write your own ceremony.

Janet & Andrew

November 11, 2006 • 4:30 pm

Cabo Surf Hotel

CJ: (speaking to audience) We are gathered here today between the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean to witness and celebrate the coming together of Andrew and Janet in marriage, to be with them, and to rejoice with them in the making of this important commitment, the essence of which is accepting another person in their entirety as lover, companion and friend.

The fact that so many people have traveled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have in their lives. Janet and Andrew would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate this wonderful occasion with them.

One of those dear friends who has traveled so far is Amie, who will read from Louis de Bernieres’ “Corelli’s Mandolin.”

Amie: "Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two."

CJ: Love is a quality of spirit and an attitude of the emotions, but marriage is a life’s work. Into this state of marriage these two persons have come today to be united.

Marriage should provide spiritual growth and discovery for both of you, expanding your capacity for love, intimacy, and joy. The intentions you will jointly pledge today should act as a guide for the future.

To explore the world together.

To always be truthful and love fearlessly.

To live your dreams.

To meet in unconditional love.

To be a happy family.

These desires will give meaning and strength to your marriage.

Janet’s longtime friend Katie will now read a poem by Pablo Neruda.

Katie:

And now you’re mine. Rest with your dream in my dream.

Love and pain and work should all sleep, now.

The night turns on its invisible wheels,

And you are pure beside me as a sleeping ember.

No one else, Love, will sleep in my dreams. You will go,

We will go together, over the waters of time.

No one else will travel through the shadows with me,

Only you, ever green, ever sun, ever moon.

Your hands have already opened their delicate fists

And let their soft drifting signs drop away;

Your eyes closed like two gray wings, and I move

After, following the folding water you carry, that carries

Me away. The night, the world, the wind spin out their destiny.

Without you, I am your dream, only that, and that is all.

CJ: Janet and Andrew, You have known each other for three and a half years, through the first glance of acquaintance to this moment of commitment. One year ago today, you decided to marry.

From that moment of yes until this moment of Yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or on long walks—all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”—those late-night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”—and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of marrying.

The symbolic vows you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed—well, I meant it all, every word.”

Hold hands now and face one another to make your vows.

Before this moment, you have been many things to one another—friend, companion, lover, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never be quite the same between you. For after these vows you shall say to the world:

This—is my husband. This—is my wife.

Andrew, please repeat after me.

I, Andrew, do take you, Janet,

To be the wife of my days / the companion of my house /

The friend of my life / and the mother of our children /

Janet, please repeat after me.

I, Janet, do take you, Andrew,

To be the husband of my days / the companion of my house /

The friend of my life / and the father of our children /

Jim, do you have the rings? (Janet hands bouquet to Karlyn).

These rings are a symbol of your everlasting love and the vows of commitment you have made today.

Andrew, placing the Ring on Janet’s finger, repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed.

Janet, placing the Ring on Andrew’s finger, repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed.

Andrew and Janet, cherish each moment together, savor every breath, and grow with each experience so that an attitude of celebration will stay with you for all of your days.

Give to one another new experiences of joy. Challenge one another so that you may grow. May the love you hold for each other, now sealed in marriage, continue to mature with the passing years. May you never take each other for granted, but always experience the wonder of your union. Be slow to anger, quick to forgive, leaving no tracks of resentment behind each day. May your love consist not only in gazing into each other's eyes, but also in looking outward in the same direction. May your life together be a source of strength and inspiration to yourselves, your families, your friends, and to all whose lives you touch.

With friends, and family, along with the sun, the moon, and the sea, I have the pleasure of announcing you as husband and wife.

You may kiss the bride.