Our Story - What I like to think, is unique and special

My FI and I were introduced through a mutual friend.  I don't know if it was Love at first sight but it definitely was lust! LOL.    Etienne was 30 and has a daughter from his first marriage (4 at the time) and I was 27 and had a son from my first marriage (6 at the time).  We moved in together after a short 6 months and two years later on Christmas morning, he proposed to me.  We didn't pick a date as we thought it would be best to deal with our "step parenting " issues before the big day.  Another two years passed and I really wanted baby...I wanted to experience parenting with a "great father" and I thought it would  help us bring our family together.  Shortly after our daughter was born, my sister was killed in a car accident and we adopted her 3 kids. We went from 2 kids to 6 kids really fast!  We went to counselling to help us deal with all the different dynamics in our family.  Needless to say that a 'wedding" was the furtherest thing from our mind while raising sooo many children. We also had to feed the buggers and man could they eat, lol.  During our counselling, the counsellor told us to erase all the "grey" from our household and make things "black and white" this would help to avoid arguments with each other as well as with the children.  IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!  Definitely helped us create a well balanced life for our family. 

Over the years, Etienne and I always shared a deep love for one another which was infectous to all our six kids.  We often would wake up in the morning and while holding eachother, playfully I would say "one day, I'm going to marry you", to which he responded "whenever you are ready".  Last year, 16 years later, and  after four of our children where off in College and only 2 remaining at home, we were in the mall and went into the Jewellery store to see about getting a ring that would close off my set and perhaps start planning a wedding (this was still just brief discussions, never in depth).  The sales lady said that my rings were beautiful but that "after 16 years and what you've been through, you deserved an upgrade, after all  Windows upgrades yearly"...we laughed and he said, "lets do it".  So we did...we bought a new engagement ring for me and our wedding bands!  (I will have my diamonds from my first set of rings changed into a necklace that I will wear on our wedding day).

We came home and told the children and they were beyond excited!  We had discussed several times that when we decided to get married, it would be a destination wedding.   We knew that our children,  now aged 11-25 (the 17 year old, my sisters youngest, is autistic so he was just crazy thrilled) would form our wedding party.  We also decided that our colours would be BLACK and WHITE because of the advice we received from our counsellor, it is what saved our relationship and more importantly, our family!!!!

So almost 18 years to the date that we met, we will be getting married in Varadero, Cuba.  I purchased Etienne a bracelet as a wedding gift...on the back i am having it engraved "Whenever Is Today"...he'll understand. 

• 2 weeks later...

*shudders out her breath*

Wow. That was so beautiful, and what an absolutely inspiring couple you are. That sure manages to put my entire life back into check and make me appreciate everything we have, for there are some truly amazing people in this world, who make it look easy.

This wedding is so deserved, and will be such an incredible experience for your entire family.

I wish you and your family all the best, and may your black and white day be forever beautiful! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!! xoxo hug2.gif

Your story touched my heart Lydia! I'm so happy that everything is working out for you!! Weddings can be expensive and frivolous but all that really matters is having your family around you and you've helped to remind me of that. Thank you so much and I just know that your wedding will be perfect! God has a place and a time for everything, I'm just so happy that after 18 long years, you're finally getting your chance!! Happy Planning Lydia!

Lydia,

What a lovely story. Wishing you all the best on your very special day! You both deserve it. Happy Planning!!

Thank you ladies...my MOH and I just came back from a weekend at our wedding location. I was literally moved by seeing the areas where I was going to marry my best friend..i had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes!  I love him more and more each day, if that is even possible!  He is truly such an amazing man and more importantly an amazing father, oh and he's HOT!!! LOL   Our motto is "Blessed Be, How Lucky Are We".  

If you get a chance to go visit your location, GO!!!!!  Worth the money..I got so many things accomplished, met with the WC, answers to all my questions, viewed the location of the wedding, coctail area and reception.  Went to the locations where we want our pictures to be taken, made arrangements for transportion, etc.  Really worth the trip!  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

very nice story, love to read it.

you know what, my wedding was on 1st december 2013, and fortunately its love marriage. but see my destiny pull me in a dark whole. I have lost my mother 2 months ago. and now my father is all alone at home after me. I am in a mid of two boats, where neither i can leave my beloved one, nor my father who is all alone on this earth now. so my in-laws postponed the date for 8th feb 2014. now i have some time to spend with my father. but still i have lost all those plans of my wedding, all of the rituals we used to celeb on wedding everything, because I have lost my mother,.. :( 

This is my sad story,

• 9 months later...