Skinny Bitch

I am in the middle of reading it. I have read most of the work that they cite and am familiar with a lot of the scientific research that it is based on. there is a lot more credibility to this book that a lot of people are giving credit to.

however, i do not believe the only way to be healthy is to be vegan but organic and natural makes sense, common sense so i try to live as clean as possbile.

i love the tone of the book - how blunt they are! :)

• 1 year later...

i think this book is great and have recommended it to friends. but i always tell them that the book isn't as superficial as it seems and the title is geared towards marketing the book.

i haven't eaten red meat in about 16 years since i never really liked it and because i love animals. but the book made me realize the ill effects of dairy. i stopped eating dairy and noticed a HUGE difference in how i feel. on the rare occasion that i do have dairy i notice it triggers my asthma.

i'm not completely vegan, vegetarian or pescadarian (sp?). i simply do my best to eat sustainable foods and to be an informed, responsible consumer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJen View Post
Yup, I read it last week and that's exactly what I thought. The book does have some good health points, but I don't agree that being a vegan is the only way to be healthy (hence skinny.) But it's a good/fun read.

I posted this on another thread - just be carefully, there's a whole chapter dedicated to the graphic details of what goes on in some slaughterhouses. That may be too much for some of you to read, just skip that chapter.
I definitely agree with everyone. It is a good read, but they make it seem like if you aren't a vegan then you will be fat and die soon. I did skip the slaughterhouse chapters. I felt that was very unnecessary to go into so much detail. They only did it to scare you into being a vegan and if begin a vegan is the best thing for you; you shouldnâ€t have to be scared into it.

I will say I do recommend it and I also have the cookbook. It is good to be informative about being a vegan and that lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked up at this book from the first page, but as a smoking, coffee drinking, Equal/nutrasweet Loving Meat eater...it didn't really help me.

the chapter on the slaughterhouses was rough...FI and I are both huge animal lovers...but we both....ahem....got over it....

I have gotten much healthier and thinner...but on my own terms....less of everything...more exercise.....you know, eating less, moving more...old fashioned but works.

• 1 year later...