Wedding Dress Prices?

Any department store would probably carry them, especially around prom season. But I would check more evening gown boutique's. I went to a store in my and tried on quite a few evening gowns in white or variations of white and they were all about $200-300 and they were really nice.

I had initially thought I'd like to only spend $500 but what I saw was in that range was not good... unless it was off the rack... but I didn't fall in love. I ended up spending $1200. I agree with you the thought of spending that on one peice of clothing I did not enjoy. But I fell in love with my dress...

Therefore I am voting 1000 -1500. Plus alterations if needed. You should be able to find something in this range!

I ended up spending $1200 too, but I did did find one small boutique shop with beautiful dresses for about $400. It was run by a very nice lady who put a LOT of time into finding great affordable dresses. I actually sort of wish that I had gone with a dress from there instead, and I feel like I got talked into something else!

I had originally wanted to spend about $500-1000 on my dress, max. I just didn't think it was all that important. I had intended to buy just a simple dress (like an off-white bridesmaids dress). Then I went shopping and discovered that I couldn't find anything I liked in that range. To make matters worse, an evil saleslady at a bridal salon brought out a $3000 silk number from a small, unique designer that was much more elaborate than I envisioned, and I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, it became *THE Dress*. Luckily, I was able to find it at discount for $1800, so I bought it. I still have to pay for alterations.

Was it worth it? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. After looking at the difference between genuine silk and dresses made out of satin/polyester, I do think there is quite a noticeable difference between synthetic and the real thing. So in my mind, I justify the added expense with the fact that the dress is silk and not synthetic. But I do still think that paying more than $1000 for a single clothing item that you'll never wear again to be quite an extravagence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkitteh View Post
I had originally wanted to spend about $500-1000 on my dress, max. I just didn't think it was all that important. I had intended to buy just a simple dress (like an off-white bridesmaids dress). Then I went shopping and discovered that I couldn't find anything I liked in that range. To make matters worse, an evil saleslady at a bridal salon brought out a $3000 silk number from a small, unique designer that was much more elaborate than I envisioned, and I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, it became *THE Dress*. Luckily, I was able to find it at discount for $1800, so I bought it. I still have to pay for alterations.

Was it worth it? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. After looking at the difference between genuine silk and dresses made out of satin/polyester, I do think there is quite a noticeable difference between synthetic and the real thing. So in my mind, I justify the added expense with the fact that the dress is silk and not synthetic. But I do still think that paying more than $1000 for a single clothing item that you'll never wear again to be quite an extravagence.
Did you post your dress yet on the thread for showing off your dress? I can't wait to see it! My experience was somewhat similar except i CHOSE to go to a high end designer store...first! There were actually a couple of ones that I fell in love with but they were about $4,500. Then i went to probably 6 other bridal stores and tried on numerous dresses. I ended up going with super inexpensive gown (under $300) because I wanted the rest of the money to be used elsewhere in the wedding. BUT now I really don't want my dress anymore! I think there is a HUGE difference the way high end designer gowns fit versus other dress. It's the material, the fit, the style, everything. I wish I had chosen to go with a dress that was closer to $1,000 because even one of those would probably fit me better and give me less of a hassle.

So i say good for you...if that dress became "the one" then you should be happy with it! I bet it is absolutely gorgeous and your FI's jaw will probably hit the ground when he sees you in it. You can always re-sell it, especially because it's higher end or you could wear it for any at home receptions you are having if you don't feel too weird about it. :)

Hi Kits55 - Haven't posted the dress yet, but I'll have to dig up a picture from somewhere and post it on the dress thread. Will try to do that this week! It's actually a pretty simple gown - just crystals and embroidery on the train and edges - the thing that sold me on it was the luxuriousness of the silk fabric.

I really do wish I could have saved money on the dress. Especially with the economy being the way that it is, I feel kind of guilty spending so much on something that is arguably rather frivolous, rather than putting the money to "better" use.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...