Something old, something new something borrowed, something blue ...

I´ve been doing some "research" and this is what I found...

Something old, something new

Something borrowed, something blue

And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

So this wedding tradition is definitely English, and many sources say that it began in the Victorian era.

Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy. "Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past. "Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead. "Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security.smile159.gif

So I´ve heard...it´s nice to have a sixpence making its way around all of the brides!! I´ve read a dime or a penny would do. Or that there are companies making this " fake-sixpence" to be used by BTBs 

I do want to wear all of the things suggested in the poem though.hug2.gif