Picking the right dog breed for you

boscobel

I know that we've talked about it before, but I got an email today from Martha Stewart magazine that references some links and info that I thought would be helpful on how to pick the breed of dog that works best for your needs and lifestyle.

Here's the main link:

Dog Breeds Center

Dog Breeds: Good with Children (44)

1. Beagle
  2. Basset House
  3. Bearded Collie
  4. Beauceron
  5. Bermese Mountain Dog
  6. Boston Terrier (my family has 4, so I can vouch for them!)
  7. Bulldog (english) (I have one myself and she's great with kids)
  8. Cocker Spaniel
  9. English Cocker Spaniel
  10. Collie
  11. Curly Coated Retriever
  12. English Setter
  13. Field Spaniel
  14. Flat Coated Retriever
  15. German Short Haired Pointer
  16. Golden Retriever
  17. Gordon Setter
  18. Great Pyrenees
  19. Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
  20. Irish Red & White Setter
  21. Irish Setter
  22. Keeshond
  23. Labrador Retriever
  24. Lagotto Romagnolo
  25. Miniature Schnauzer
  26. Newfoundland
  27. Norwegian Buhund
  28. Norwegian Elkhound
  29. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
  30. Old English Sheepdog
  31. Otterhound
  32. Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
  33. Pharaoh Hound
  34. Plott
  35. Pointer
  36. Polish Lowland Sheepdog
  37. Portugese Water Dog
  38. St. Bernard
  39. Scottish Deerhound
  40. Siberian Husky
  41. Spinone Italiano
  42. Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  43. Sussex Spaniel
  44. Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
Other helpful links:

All-American Dog Breeds

Dog Breeds: Apartment Dogs

Dog Breeds: Calm Companions

Dog Breed Selection Tips

Very cool quiz Cassie!

Maltese was one of my results which was what I have... but I guess having a dog already maybe makes you subconsciously answer the questions to how your dog is!

Great website...

i'm surprised boxers are not on the list...they are family dogs. ok my boxer puppy is too high strung for kids right now. he gets SOOO excited around kids and he jumps on them. Haha.

I do see that they are number 6 for popular dogs. I absolutely love my dog. At first, i was really overwhelmed because he is a high energy dog and naturally dominant puppy. I got a lot better at controlling him than just letting him run me over.

Important advice for you considering a high energy dog, give your dog PLENTY OF EXERCISE! I take Bo to the park almost single day for a hour and we send him to dog day care once a week. If you are a couch potato, then a high energy dog is not for you. Only times when Bo is a couch potato is at nights with us watching tv for a hour after he has been exercised.

Love the site and this thread! I know Collie is on the list, but I have a Shetland Sheepdog or "Sheltie" (looks like a mini collie), and he is fantastic with kids. SUPER smart, easy to train (learned most of his tricks under half an hour), soooo affectionate and loyal. You can see his pic in my siggy!

But of course, even though a lot of traits are innate to breeds, I still think discipline is a major factor in getting your dog to behave the way you want, especially around kids. I love "The Dog Whisperer" and Cesar always had great pearls of wisdom on training dogs and humans. I've seen good dogs from good breeds go bad because the owners don't discipline correctly. But Diana's totally right -- EXERCISE, exercise exercise. Although our little Marley isn't super high energy as a breed, he is more mellow after his daily walks. LOVE him!