Who is in charge of playing the songs?

I see a lot of posts about songs to walk down the asile to, first kiss songs, recessional, cocktail hour, bridal party introductions, etc.

If you are using an iPod, how have you delegated who will be in charge of making sure the songs play at the right time?

I'm thinking I need to ask a close friend who is not in the wedding party to take control of this ... but also don't want them to feel they have to constantly monitor the music and not have a good time.

I am hoping to use an iPod so we have our own music and don't have to pay a DJ.

For the wedding, the WC at the RIU had people from the RIU in charge- I gave her the list of what I wanted played when. Then we they set up for dinner, I told her to turn on the dinner playlist. We had our first dance song as it's own playlist. After dinner, for the reception/dancing portion, we turned it ourselves onto that playlist and just let it go. If we weren't "feeling" the song, either Jason or I or one of our guests would just go change it.

It helps to make different playlists for each portion.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed the music for our close friends' ceremony but I have it say that it sort of stunk because I basically missed the entire walk down the aisle, etc. and had to sit in the back... however that was off a stereo that was hidden in a side room so it might be different with an ipod...

but that being said it can also save you a lot of money so ask a friend and just make sure that you thank them with a dinner or sokmething afterwards

Save the money! We didn't have an ipod but we made discs clearly labeled (processional, recessional, cocktail hour, dinner, reception disc 1, reception disc 2, last dance). Someone my WC delegated was in charge of changing discs. I saw my WC do it once as well. I'm not familiar with ipods, but ask your WC if they can take charge of that, I probably wouldn't want to ask a guest either.

Yeah, I would hate to have to ask a guest ... but also thought about seeing what kind of friends we make while we are there and perhaps asking if someone staying/working at the resort would do it for some cash. I just know Tom and I ... and mostly everyone else, will be too smashed to do it. hehe smile41.gifshots.gif

Do you have someone who will assume the role of MC, or some job similar to MC? That's what we're doing. We'll have someone who will maintain the "flow" of the party, they'll be in charge of the music as well... hopefully they'll be able to judge the crowd and change the music if need be. Otherwise maybe your WC can do it for the ceremony. Not sure how long she's around during the reception, but that's a good time to assign it to a guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyV View Post
Do you have someone who will assume the role of MC, or some job similar to MC? That's what we're doing. We'll have someone who will maintain the "flow" of the party, they'll be in charge of the music as well... hopefully they'll be able to judge the crowd and change the music if need be. Otherwise maybe your WC can do it for the ceremony. Not sure how long she's around during the reception, but that's a good time to assign it to a guest.
I wish! We have to pay $200 for a DJ/MC ... that's why I'm hopinh I can find some cool vacationer there to help us out for some cash. And if I get anyone from the resort, I have to make sure they speak well enough English ... which sounds like from prior reviews will be a bit of a problem in the DR. I guess we will just play it by ear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post
I wish! We have to pay $200 for a DJ/MC ... that's why I'm hopinh I can find some cool vacationer there to help us out for some cash. And if I get anyone from the resort, I have to make sure they speak well enough English ... which sounds like from prior reviews will be a bit of a problem in the DR. I guess we will just play it by ear...
No, I mean, a guest acting as an MC. Do you guys not do that at weddings there? I see it at every single wedding I go to. Hmm, weird. Anyways, we'll pick someone witty/funny to act as an MC at our wedding for free! cheesy.gif They probably won't need to do much, but just in case! wink.gif

Oh, I gotcha! fryingpan.gif Usually the best man will get things started with a speech, etc ... but normally the DJ sort serves as MC at weddings I've been to. But, we can certainly do it however we want, right? THat's what we're all learning on here!!cheer2.gif So, it might just by Tom's BM and his brother kind pic up the mic whenever necessary and stir things up. :-)