Politely ask : No shorts at ceremony

Yes, definitely put a dress code on the invite and go into further detail on your website or explain to guests what that means through word of mouth. You can give guidelines and examples when people ask (Our dress code is beach chic. For example: sundresses and linen pants are ok, a ball gown or tux is too formal, and shorts are too casual.). I know that most people will ask around to see what other people are wearing to the wedding; so if you put the vibe out there that shorts are a no no, most people will be cognizant of that and avoid them.

However, there are some tacky people out there.... I've seen people go to beach weddings in stained t-shirts and cut offs while the other guests look nice. I don't get how some people think that's ok!

We are only 40 people, so everyone was informed of the dress code verbally. If not by me directly, but through other family members. My family is generally pretty well dressed so I am not afraid, but I have had to mention to my Future In Laws that the resort does not allow shorts in their à la cartes so... pack appropriately. My MOH called the other day (she lives in another city) with a bunch of questions about the wedding and what her FI should wear. I flat out said no shorts. I said- nice khaki's or something... if he really wants to wear shorts go for it, but he'll look stupid. It is a wedding after all. It may be on the beach but it's pretty traditional in every other way.... :) *said with a smile!