I have a friend who is a graphic designer and she offered to design our invitations and monogram. We ended up going with a boarding pass style so I showed her samples and told her what to put on it, etc. I also sent her samples of monograms I like so she could create one for us as well.

She has offered to do it for free, but i want to give her something..whether it be money or a GC.

So, she ended up outsourcing the printing to one of her printers at work and they are charging $3.90 CAD per invite which includes 2 inserts of invite and the cardstock folder they come in. Envelopes are not included. This is $190 for 50 invites. I'm not sure if this is a good price or not. From online I've seen about $4 -$6 an invite...but that may include envelopes (60Cents not a big deal).

What did you pay per invite, or was there a surcharge for the design service you used? I want to get an idea of how much to give her without insulting or going overboard.

Thanks!

Ours were $202 for 45 invites, with response cards & pre-addressed envelopes for both. I added more stuff (pocket-fold jacket, cardstock to make another insert & silver sand dollar charm) so I think they ended up costing about $6 total, but the invites themselves were about $4.5 each.

I don't think the printing costs you were quoted sound out of line, especially with the 2 inserts.

I went with the pocket fold invites, they have two pockets and one has an rsvp card with preaddressed envelope, the other is a travel info insert with our TA's info and our website address. They came with a monogram on the front of the invite and some ribbon detail as well and the envelopes had the return address on the flap included. I paid 4.99 plus I think .60 for the extra travel insert, and that included the envelopes and design work too. I also added on a few things on my own that I had to pay for (envelope liners, and the guest addresses printed on the envelope cause I'm lazy) but if you don't include that then it was about 5.60 for each (Canadian). I'd shopped it around, too, and you can definitely pay more for pocket folds than I did. I think if you ordered custom made bording pass ones you'd pay even more than I did- they're more expensive I believe. So it doesn't sound too bad to me, honestly- I think you're getting a deal.

Thanks everyone! I am not worried at all about her giving me a good deal. I know she definitely has our best interests in mind. I just want to get an idea of how much i'm saving so that I can best compensate her beyond the actual "cost" of the invites. That gives me a good idea :-)

• 1 year later...