Just got my first estimate. Yikes!

Wow that is a lot of money! That hotel is beautiful though, and I remember the food at the restaurant being really good. However, nopt $30k worth of good. You might look into other places that are in the at same category that are having a tough time with the economy. You can rent venues and have a caterer for a lot less than that with the exact same view as that hotel. There is a magazine called Southern California brides (I think that is the name) that has many different venues. I went to see a few with at friend and they were gorgeous. She ended up getting married at a country club in Malibu that was a cliff overlooking the ocean. Fabulous and dinner was not 30k and the food was really good. Don't rule out private venues, they are usually much cheaper than the hotels and just as beautiful! Good luck and happy planning. I live in So Cal, so if you need me to check out a venue for you, I will be happy to do it and send pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfected View Post
Wow that is a lot of money! That hotel is beautiful though, and I remember the food at the restaurant being really good. However, nopt $30k worth of good. You might look into other places that are in the at same category that are having a tough time with the economy. You can rent venues and have a caterer for a lot less than that with the exact same view as that hotel. There is a magazine called Southern California brides (I think that is the name) that has many different venues. I went to see a few with at friend and they were gorgeous. She ended up getting married at a country club in Malibu that was a cliff overlooking the ocean. Fabulous and dinner was not 30k and the food was really good. Don't rule out private venues, they are usually much cheaper than the hotels and just as beautiful! Good luck and happy planning. I live in So Cal, so if you need me to check out a venue for you, I will be happy to do it and send pics!
I've heard a little about that magazine but I can't figure out how to get one sent to me here in AZ. But like I said we're going to go out there in two weeks so I'll try to find one and we're going to drive around the areas we really like and see if we can find some smaller hotels in the area. We may not get an appt to take a tour or anything but it'll give us more of an idea on what's available.

Another Arizonan!

Dana Point is a beautiful area. I lived out there for a year, and I can see why your father loves it. I would definitely recommend looking at private venues for your wedding. The hotels are very very expensive, but maybe you can negotiate something if you go in with your budget, as Jaclynda suggested.

I know there is a yacht club in the area as well as private homes.

Good luck and keep us up to date.