Renting a Car in the U.S.

CourtneyV

Aaron and I are planning to go to Florida/Disney for two weeks after the wedding. We thought we'd rent a car, because I honestly don't want to take taxis and buses everywhere! So I was talking to my dad about it this morning and he said that we won't be able to rent a car because Aaron won't be 25 yet (he'll be 23 - I'l be 22). So does that mean we can't rent a car at all? Is there just a higher fee for renting a car when younger than 25?? sad.gif I really don't want to stay at the resort because of $$$, and I don't want to have to rely on other means of transportation!! What should we do?

i always had to rent a car for work, and i was under 25. but then again, it ws under my employers contract, so that might be why i didn't have an issue. you probably just have to pay more - but just check out the company's website or call to get the scoop (hertz is my fav, or national, budget, etc.).

little tip ... find out the lowest per day price on something like expedia.com - then go to priceline and name your own price - i always get a pretty good deal that way. and i use that when not renting for work.

Yay, thanks gals. I've never rented a car, let alone in the U.S. so I can use all the help I can get. I'll check their policy online. How far in advance should I book it? I won't book one today, but I'll mark it on my to-do for later because I can just see myself forgetting about it until we're there!!

Also, I heard that these companies normally overbook.. obviously I have very little control over how early we get there, but is there some way I can be absolutely sure there will be a car waiting there for me?

I'm late. But yeah, some places you have to be 25, but most places rent if you are 21 and older. You just pay an extra fee if you are under 25 though.

I know Hertz rents if you are under 25 but charges an extra fee. Like others said, just check the websites and they will have info!

And, it's definitely easier to get around if you have a car! I mean the buses/shuttles in Orlando seemed nice and to run frequently, but it's just so much easier to have your own car! If you're renting from an airport location, I would book at least a couple months in advance!

i always book mine last minute - but that's just me. sometimes you can get a better deal that way. but i also travel waaaayyy too much so i have "status" with the companies and am guaranteed a car. i've never really heard of anyone not getting a car - unless there were some huge convention or event going on i guess.

• VIP Member

It is a pain to get a car if you are under 25, or at least that is what I have found out. It stinks... but I am pretty sure it can be done.

In Orlando, I love the free transportation that they offer. I can go anywhere and I truly enjoy it. All of the shuttles to the parks are like god sents. It's so terrible to park and then drive home when you are beat.

And Jessica... do you need to clean the toilet better? Your ticker cracks me up!

Courtney,

I believe most car rental shops there is an age limit of 25 or older, Make sure you read their restrictions.

I know Enterprise you have to be 25 or older

I believe Budget rent a car is the same.

Just make sure you ask.