How many of you in DR had a civil legal cermony? This is withheld in the States as legal correct... one of my guests said it would not be considered legal here and I said they were smoking something funny... but now I am second guessing maybe there has been some law change.... I am crazy right?

Christinamaria22,

As long as you get married according to the laws of the country in which you are having your wedding ceremony, then your marriage will be valid and recognized in the US. Here are two resources for you that should put your mind at ease: US Embassy in the Dominican (Marriage in the Dominican Republic) and the US Department of State (Marriage of U.S. Citizens Abroad).

On another note, there are alot of people who opt to do a legal ceremony (i.e. mainly the paperwork) at home (US / Can / UK) before going to the DR to save money and the time it takes to get their marriage certificate from the DR (around 6 months). People that go this route opt to have just a symbolic ceremony in the DR.

Hope this helps.

we are opting for the symbolic ceremony and getting legal at home. we just visited dr and spoke with the coordinator at dreams and she said there is one judge for 22 resorts and he is usually always late. we spoke with one couple who got married and they said the judge was like 1 -2 hrs late .