International Service Fees

Duchess

Is this common? I just paid the last $8000 of our wedding, in 2 payments on my bank card visa. So I was checking the balance, and one of the payments is still pending. But the one that is complete, has a $118 service fee associated with it. I called the bank, and they said that anytime you use your bank card as a credit card, debit card, or withdrawl from ATM, it is subject to a 3% fee. I asked who applied the fee, and it was the bank, not some international commerce organization or the wedding company.

Is this common for Mexico weddings? Or, is this something crappy that my bank does? When the 2nd payment posts, I guess another $118 will be attached.

Thanks in advance!

Yep, I've been victim to the crappy International Service Fee many times before in Mexico and throughout Europe. sad.gif It's something you definitely gotta ask your credit card company about before you travel abroad, I think the charges vary depending on your card provider.

Mine was a Visa, but when I asked if I used it as a bank card instead of a credit card, they said it would still charge.

You know, I joined that crappy little bank when I graduated from college 10 years ago, and stayed with them even tho I knew they were not the best. Now I wish I moved to another bank! I guess thats what Loyalty gets you!