Civil vs. Religious Wedding

Okay-I am glad y'all aren't telling anyone either! I don't want ppl to think that they spent so much money to see our wedding and it wasn't even legal. I'm sure most ppl won't care, but some might. =) Y'all are such great advice givers

This has been hard for us to decide on too.

We have decided to do the "paperwork" here in the states and then get "married" in Cancun. I am scared to death of needles and don't want to do the blood work let alone the other paperwork.

I'm not telling anyone here besides our parents. I don't think it's a big deal but I don't want people to feel like their not at our real wedding.

Since we will be taking vows in front of our family and friends in Mexico, we will consider that our wedding anniversary. Hope that helps!

At this point, I am seriously considering getting married by a JoP here and having a symbolic ceremony in Mexico. I was talking to my mom about it just now and feeling guilty for duping people in to thinking it's our legal day and she just said not to worry about it and to consider doing it here as an insurance policy...we're just covering our asses basically.

Does anyone know if they ask for "witnesses" during a symbolic ceremony?