Spicy Pumpkin Soup

A10CalGal

I have a ton of winter squash from my CSA and started researching recipes this weekend.

Well, I also have a pumpkin and decided to make this Spicy Pumpkin Soup. I started last night by cutting up the pumkin and roasting it: 350 - 375 degree oven, lightly drizzle with olive oil, flesh side down, approx 45 minutes or until fork tender.

Now, I like spicy stuff. I decided to follow the recipe exactly, and it was not spicy enough for me, so I added additional cayenne & crushed red pepper. I think you could do this soup with a lot less milk as well. I had my first bowl with a sprinkle of feta cheese...VERY TASTY!!

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

INGREDIENTS

4 Tbsp unsalted butter

2 medium yellow onions, chopped

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 teaspoons curry powder

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin*

5 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)

2 cups of milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

METHOD

1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.

2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.

4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.

Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Serves 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Host View Post
umm...sounds so good...i love creamy soups in the winter and one of my favorite things is pumpkin curry.

i bet if you added a few dashes of curry it would kick it up a nothc wink.gif
There is curry in there!!

I'm having this for lunch today...I'll be interested to see if the spicy-ness has increased after a day.

• 1 year later...