RIU Puerta Plata brides - "House" photographer disaster!!!

I received an email from someone who recently was married at the RIU Bachata in Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic. This is what she had to say about the photographer...

We were there for 2 weeks and our guest for just one. The photographer told us to come to his store friday to go through the picutres. We went and were told they weren't ready. Saturday morning we said our goodbyes with our family and friends and went back to the photographers store. Again were told not ready. Again Sunday we were told they're not ready. So finally sunday night i was getting upset and demanded to speak to the manager, CARLOS, who was one of the photographers. They called him at home and he said he'd be there in an hour. So we waited for Carlos. He finally arrived and brought us upstairs to his office. THEY LOST ALL OF OUR WEDDING PICTURES. He said they we're trying to retreive them on the computer that's why they kept telling us to come back day after day. He offered to do them all again, but everyone had already left as well as my wedding dress went home with my mom. I was so upset and crying, he told me it's no big deal. NO BIG DEAL!!!! It was a big deal, not only did he loose all of our pics but we lost 2 hours of our wedding day for what?!?

We had pics on our camera as well as our families cameras. We contacted everyone that was there and got them to email their pics to Carlos. He played around with them and got us some pretty good pics. Not professional but good. He gave us 50 thanks you cards, bottle of rum with our pic on it, 2 mugs with our picture and 18*20 picture, and all of the pics he played with on a CD. We paid him NOTHING! I was soooooo disappointed with Carlos and the photography team at the Bachata. Oh not just our pics were lost but another couple that were married there the same day. Carlos assured me that he would continue to try to get our pictures, and gave me his email address to keep in touch. I've email him 4 times in the last year and a half and never gotten a response.

Just thought I would give you RIU Bachata/Merengue/Mambo brides the heads up!! I am so glad I decided to hire my own photographer!!

This is really sad.

I always back up all of the images to multiple drives to protect against this sort of thing. And, when I shoot a destination wedding, I have the images in three locations - on my CF cards, on my laptop, and on a portable hard drive. Then, when I get back to the office, I copy the images to a couple of hard drives, as well as to DVDs. Backups are definitely a necessity!

Glad I am bringing my own photographer. But things like this can happen to anyone! I am making sure as many people who want to take photos do. If I can end up with 12 good shots of my wedding day I will be happy.

My sister got married in town and her photographer (who used film 10 years ago) got all roles exposed in the developing stage and lost them all. It can happen.

there is no good reason for the pictures to be lost. they probably took them on CF cards. those cf cards should not have been cleared off until the pictures were on the computer & backed up.

this is not just a simple accident. they should have many things in place to protect this from happening.

• 4 months later...

Check with Renee Cobb here on BDW...I know she is in Puerto Plata in Jan & Feb, but I'm not sure about March. Otherwise, you can hire a photographer from anywhere. You will have to pay for their travel & accomodations, but you might be able to find someone who will not charge for their services (just travel). Search photographers here...check the vendors forum too. Good Luck & enjoy the bachata!! It was beautiful!!!