Do I say something about money?

Like you, the issue of monetary assistance involving a wedding had come up WAY before there was ever that actual issue of a wedding! My parents had always said that they would contribute, and...when I DID get engaged, and started thinking about what we could spend...and how soon we could afford to get married, I decided to casually bring it up with my mom...

I just told her that I had begun working on our wedding budget and made small talk about having no idea how much this shit costs! I just came out and asked if her and my dad were able to give us anything and was so pleased to know, not only that yes, they had a nice amount they wanted to give us, that my dad wanted to buy my dress...but...also...now it was out there...off my chest!

Just ask your mom if she and your dad are able to help you out at all...

Give them specific things that they can pay for if they don't want to just give you a lump sum of money...like photography, or your dress, whatever.

Your FI can ask the same of his parents.

Wow...this was long.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that you should not ask about money. If someone wants to help contribute then they will. I and my love will be saving and paying for it ourselves. since we are want the wedding of my dreams (LOL) it is up to us to pay for it.

You should definitely budget for what you want and anything else is considered a bonus. I have a friend who was told by her mother that she would contribute X amount of dollars to her wedding and it has been 3 years and she still has not see any of it (LO