stupid spammer in my hotmail account

AVG has a great suite of security programs, all of which are free.

They have a boot drive scan application, which is awesome, because a lot of retail security programs don't actually start scanning your PC for viruses deeper than the level where your desktop becomes active in the start-up process. A lot of hackers have written trojans to attack the boot files and these retail programs don't catch them at all; so the virus scans look "clean", when in fact, they are infected like crazy or keep coming back with problems.

I'm a huge AVG fan.... I've used their software for about 4 years now and have found they prevent more viruses from being installed in my PC, they don't slow down my processor, and they stay more up-to-date without requiring annual subscription plans.

Last, I never liked McAfee or Norton because they tend to install a file that is really embedded in the PC; so when a user tries to uninstall, they can remove everything except one file which is linked to a process that isn't shut down during the uninstall. So, even after using the uninstall utilites in their own application, I had to backtrack to stop the process and then manually uninstall the residual file, before I could install another security application on my PC. (And, of course, with the process still running, my PC kept performing slowly)

Maria - always a wealth of information when it comes to the computer problems. Thanks so much for that name (AVG). I am downloading it to my home computer now and will check my work one tomorrow. I have norton at work, but always hated mcafee as well. My sister had it and it was killed her computer. It was almost like a virus itself!