DR Vaccinations?!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Havrix vaccination before I went... and have to get the booster six months after the initial vaccine, so sometime this fall. Havrix covers one of the Hepatistis strains, not sure which one, but I had already been vaccinated in school for the other strain. Twinrix is recommended to cover both.

I came back from the DR with no issues what so ever though, so it probably isnt necessary as everyone else says!

It isn't a bad idea to get Hep A &/or Hep B. The combined shot is Twinrix. This will cover you if you do any other travelling as well. I myself would prefer to get the vaccine to protect my liver than to regret not getting it, but everyone has their opinions on vaccines.

As for the malaria medication, you start taking it a week before you go and finish taking it a week after returning home I believe. The medication is called, Chloroquine. It is pill form for adults and liquid for shildren. Both forms taste awful too. This medications is recommended if you are travelling to the Punta Cana area but not Puerto Plata.

You could always put the info out there for your guests and let them decide if they are going to do anything with it.

• 11 months later...