Legally married...Before or after?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs. Hull View Post
(Although I saw Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams picking up a marriage license a couple of weeks ago in Brooklyn Court.)

-Glenda
okay back up-why was this info not posted in the gossip section...that's a big deal they got their marriage license-did they actually get married? or just get the license?

I agree, hes hot. You should have posted this as soon as it happend. Shame on you Glenda.lol.
shameonyou.gif

Ok I was in the marriage license office b/c I needed to get something for a client and I randomly saw them. At first I did a double take and didn't think it was them, but sure enough there she was holding his hand and clinging on to him for dear life. Why does she always cling I have no idea? But I don't think they are married, the papparazzi would have defenitly been all over that. I think it was some kind of media ploy b/c I think I read about it in page six a couple of days later or somewhere like that. Anyway I think once you get a marriage license in NY you have up until a certain amount of time to get married or else it is invalid. So if they haven't gotten married by now it has to be invalid. They probably just did it to spread rumors and this way when they do do it for real no one will catch on. Sorry I have not been a good little gossip lately!!! blush2.gif

-Glenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
However b/c I am a litigator and I am in courts all day I get depressed about the thought of getting married in a court. They usually marry people in the basement floor and it's so dingy.
-Glenda
Glenda - take a trip out to San Diego - the county building is on the water - not dingy at all. OK, if I recall, the room where you get married may have had green shag carpeting, but I was almost laughing throughout the ceremony - it was awesome.

FYI ladies - we got married the day we got back from the wedding. I preferred doing it after versus before. Then we left from our honeymoon and I picked up the paperwork right after we returned. It was quick, easy, and totally fun.

OOOh I should so do this!!! Of course cali people have nice civil ceremonies. You don't have dark, dingy rooms with people with attitude marrying you. LOL!!! Do you have to be a resident of cali to get married in cali? B/c if not I will so go and do this! My FI would love it. He's never been outside of NY (well except for neighboring states) so he would be up for it. If I do this, Leigh and Anny will never let me live it down!!!! smile120.gif

-Glenda

I am not a CA resident and am getting married there.

this is the marriage license info I got

Marriage License & Ceremony

To be married in California you must obtain a marriage license prior to the marriage ceremony. If either party is under the age of eighteen, a license cannot be issued without the consent of a parent and a court order. To obtain a regular license the bride and groom (both over 18 years of age) must appear in person and provide information including parents full names and places of birth. If there was a prior marriage, the way in which and date the last marriage ended is required. If the last marriage ended less than 90 days prior to the new license being requested, a copy of the document ending the marriage must be provided.

The fee for a regular license is $70.00. It is suggested, but not required, that a certified copy also be paid for at the time the license is issued for an additional $13.00. A regular license can be obtained from any of California's 58 county clerks and, once issued is good for 90 days. The ceremony can be performed anywhere in the State of California. We issue marriage licenses between 8 AM and 4:00 PM Monday through Friday except for holidays. Our office can also perform the marriage ceremony if an appointment is made in advance. The cost of a ceremony is $40.00. We prefer that the couple provide at least one witness for the ceremony. We perform ceremonies between 8 AM and 11:00 AM and between 2 PM and 4:00 PM. For information about having a friend or relative deputized as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for the Day, click Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
OOOh I should so do this!!! Of course cali people have nice civil ceremonies. You don't have dark, dingy rooms with people with attitude marrying you. LOL!!! Do you have to be a resident of cali to get married in cali? B/c if not I will so go and do this! My FI would love it. He's never been outside of NY (well except for neighboring states) so he would be up for it. If I do this, Leigh and Anny will never let me live it down!!!! smile120.gif

-Glenda
smile120.gif Glenda you're soooo funny hehehehe