Survey, what activities or things did you treat your guests to?

OK since everyone has to fly to our destination wedding and spend a lot of money, I sort of feel obligated to treat my guests to something, like an activity.

I'm trying to get an idea what things you picked up the tab for?

I'm expecting between 70-100 guests so this could be costly. If there weren't so many people coming, I'd definitely treat everyone to a snorkeling trip or something.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having 80 or so guests and I feel like I should treat them to something too. But with the cost of the reception, welcome party, OOT bags, etc, I don't know how much I can afford to do. If anyone has any inexpensive fun suggestions, I would love to hear them as well (thanks for starting this thread RoSean!).

We're going to be around Negril, and we're taking everyone to Margaritaville. Its basically costing us the cab fare for everyone, which isn't too expensive. We thought it would be fun for everyone, including our older crowd. I know they have a few in Jamaica - Ochos Rios, Montego Bay and Negril. They are also in Cancun and Cozumel. The one in OR has a huge waterslide, and I think the one in Montego Bay has a trampoline in the water ?!? Fun, touristy thing to do, and less expensive than an excursion...

Besides the wedding/reception, OOT bags, and welcome dinner we didn't do anything. If you can, then I say go for it. For us, all of our guests came and left at different times. Some of them were only in Mexico for 3 days so we didn't want to monopolize their time. Plus, their interests were so varied that it would have been difficult for us. Our welcome dinner cost a lot so that was it for the extras...and our guests were surprised that we did that so that was a treat in itself for them.

The beach is free and you could always organize a meet-up there with snacks or a bonfire or something inexpensive.

I've been thinking of some inexpensive group activities. I don't think you have to spend a lot of money on your guest to show them how thankful you are they made the trip. I think it's also important to let them know the group things are optional. They have limited time & may already have a list of things they want to do. Here are my ideas so far. Some are just for the RM, but others would work anywhere:

Put sunset time on their schedule & suggest everyone meet on the beach one night to watch the sunset. I'll probably buy a cooler & fill it with beer. If I can't find one, we'll just grab a drink from the hotel bar on the way out. We are staying at an AI.

Pay for van ride to Tulum on Sunday. The vans are like $2 a person & Tulum is free on Sundays. I still need to fact check this. I've read somewhere it's only free for people who live in mexico.

Pay for a van/cab ride to a lagoon for everyone to snorkel. There is a lagoon 2 miles from us with a dive shop that rents snorkeling gear. I'm suggesting everyone bring their own if they plan on going a lot.

Pay for van/cab to playa del carmen for shopping trip.

Many guest are the most excited about karaoke at the hotel bar. We have some guest who are really serious about karaoke. I'm a little scared of them all coming together at once.

Our hotel has a lot of free activities at night. They have musicals, game nights, dances, etc. I think that will be great group entertainment.

We are also organizing a deep sea fishing trip for those interested. We are not paying for it though. I don't think anyone would expect us too. I'm doing all the work to put it together & i think guest will appreciate that.

I'm also making OOT bags.

Not very useful since my wedding is in PR but we are renting two vans and driving to El Yunque (only rainforest in US) for a day trip. We can "rent" a park ranger for a guided tour and picnic. We are also renting a boat for a day long snorkeling trip the day after. In PR its about $1800 and includes lunch, all you can drink, music, and equipment. I found most of my information from tourist industry websites and my own trips to PR.

Hmm not sure how useful my response is either since I'm getting married in Maui, but here is what we are doing so far:

OOT bags

The reception dinner

Luau the next evening

Other than that, I don't think we can afford much else.. the luau is pretty costly.. yikes! We may do some day trips that people can join us on, but we won't be paying for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoSean View Post
OK since everyone has to fly to our destination wedding and spend a lot of money, I sort of feel obligated to treat my guests to something, like an activity.

I'm trying to get an idea what things you picked up the tab for?

I'm expecting between 70-100 guests so this could be costly. If there weren't so many people coming, I'd definitely treat everyone to a snorkeling trip or something.
We are taking our guests / friends on two days of tours, that is whoever wants to go along, we are figuring about 15 or so people each day.

Monday, we are going to Isla Mujeres, island tour, snorkling, hangin out, watch the sunset over a ICE COLD Cervaza Sol :)

Tuesday
, we are headed to tour a few of our favorite cenotes and to check out the Mayan Ruins at Coba, then we are headed to the beautiful beach at Tulum to chill out!

Wednesday, chill out.

Thursday
, BIG DAY

Friday, we are going to another one of our favorite cenotes to do our own trash the dress session with a handful of our photographer friends (10). LOTS of our guests will be professional shooters, so we are making a day for touring and shooting FUN :) Can't wait.

Saturday: we are shooting a wedding YIKES, what the hell is wrong with me!

Sounds like fun, eh?

We talk about the plan for the week here on our wedding website, del Sol Wedding Website and more on our blog, The story of two photographers - Matt Adcock and Sol Tamargo