Official PV Riu Thread (Discussion here for Riu Vallarta, Jalisco & Pacifico Palace)

I've seen a few Riu Vallarta Brides on here, and am wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions or advice. My wedding is booked for April 23rd, 2009 and we have about 30 guests joining us from April 18th - April 26th. I have not yet heard from the wedding coordinator; although I did email her some time ago. I'm told that they do take quite some time to get back to you, so I'm not panicking yet.

I guess my biggest question is that we want to hold a dance after the reception dinner and I'm wondering what Bars are available for rental. Also, we plan to bring an ipod and a set of good speakers and "dj" ourselves. I suppose we'll have to rent a bartender as well. Do you have any suggestions for this?

I'm also wondering if some of the "add-on's" are worth the money.

If anyone can offer some advise, whether you were a bride or a visitor...it would fantastic.

I Look forward to hearing from you all.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Heather,

As of now I think I'm the only actual "Bride" on here who has gotten married at the RIU Vallarta. Helen's daughter got married there too. We have one RIU Jalisco bride as well.

Let me know if I can help.

You can rent out the pool bar and they have the speakers set up there all you have to do is hook up your Ipod. The bartenders come with the rental. I had them set my cake up there as well.

Our wedding was in November so the weather may be different from what it will be in April. I hope that helps!

Let me know if you need anything else!

My daughter rented the poolside bar just like Celina, and used an ipod with a docking station (belonging to the bestman) and it was just fine. We had the included bartender.

Good luck in your planning and if I can answer anymore questions just ask! Celina and Mel have lots of information!

Thanks ladies, this helped a lot. I think we are giong to do the IPOD thing as well and just get a good set of speakers. How long did you guys rent the poolside bar for? I am having my wedding at 4:00 pm followed by pictures afterwards. I was thinking of having a later dinner about 7:30 - 8:00 ish and than head over to the poolside bar from about 10:00 - midnight. There are certainly a lot of night owls with my group, so I"m wondering if maybe I should rent it until 1:00huh.gif Anyways, This is just a very draft timeline as I know that it most likely won't follow a definate one once we are there. Does this sounds realistic to you?

As I mentioned I have about 30 guests coming and am going with the mid grade package (The royal wedding package). Did you guys go with the basic photography package that comes with the wedding pakcage, or did you pay for additions? What should I budget for this to get decent pics? Also, what did you think of the bouquet that is included with the package? Did you order flowers for the arch at an additional cost? I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for what additional costs are worth it and what are not.

If you could offer any more tips or suggestions (do's and don'ts), it would be so much appreciated.

Thanks,

I suggest renting the poolside bar for as long as you possibly can! Seriously I think my guests could have stayed up all night and morning partying and dancing the night away. We had a blast! I really do wish we could do it all over again cuz it was just so much fun. We rented I think from 8 until mid night but I remember asking for an extra hour at the end because we were having such a good time. So 5 hours in total.

I brought my own photographer with me and if you do this make sure you inform the WC of it otherwise their photographer will show up and be a PITA. I don't really remember what the resorts photog rates but they were pretty high considering I wanted at least 8 hours of coverage plus a TTD.

The flowers at the Riu are gorgeous. I don't know who their supplier is but they are some of the most beautiful bouquets I have EVER seen. You will not be disappointed with the quality I promise you that. I didn't do the arch and I can't remember if Celina or Helen's daughter did either.

As for any other tips my memory is a bit foggy since it was over a year ago but if I think of anythign I'll let you know.

btw nice to see a fellow Edmontonian, I used to live there 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbean View Post
Thanks ladies, this helped a lot. I think we are giong to do the IPOD thing as well and just get a good set of speakers. How long did you guys rent the poolside bar for? I am having my wedding at 4:00 pm followed by pictures afterwards. I was thinking of having a later dinner about 7:30 - 8:00 ish and than head over to the poolside bar from about 10:00 - midnight. There are certainly a lot of night owls with my group, so I"m wondering if maybe I should rent it until 1:00huh.gif Anyways, This is just a very draft timeline as I know that it most likely won't follow a definate one once we are there. Does this sounds realistic to you?

As I mentioned I have about 30 guests coming and am going with the mid grade package (The royal wedding package). Did you guys go with the basic photography package that comes with the wedding pakcage, or did you pay for additions? What should I budget for this to get decent pics? Also, what did you think of the bouquet that is included with the package? Did you order flowers for the arch at an additional cost? I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for what additional costs are worth it and what are not.

If you could offer any more tips or suggestions (do's and don'ts), it would be so much appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie had 31 guests at the wedding. She went witht he Royal package and added some stuff. As I mentioned in my PM to you she did upgrade the package and the 2008 prices are in my review thread http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t21027

The flowers (iris') were an upgrade but I have no idea of cost. Katie had to have them as they are her favourite flower.

The arch in the pictures I'm pretty sure is the basic one offered.

I will mention that the sand in May was too hot to walk on for the ceremony which was at 3:00. We definately needed shoes/flip flops etc.

If 'I' could have changed one thing (and it wasn't my wedding) we had a big gap between the ceremony and dinner, so we all just sat around in the bar in the lobby. I would have moved the ceremony to later (which yours is) and provided the guest with some appetizers or something before dinner. We had too big a gap and people didn't really know what to do. If you have your ceremony at 4 then dinner at 8 that might be too big a gap with no food. Just something to consider.

I went to all the travel agents in the city but no one was as awesome as Tammy (host). She did a superb job and she kinda calmed me down. I really trusted her, which was a big one for me. Being that she was a DW bride herself I think she has an advantage over the rest.

I am getting married at the Riu Vallarta but we are renting out the ballroom area. We will have it from 6 or 7 until 1 or 2. My family loves to party. We will be having the mexican buffet for dinner followed by hours of dancing.

Our ceremony will take place in church at 3.