Kevsgirl's Planning Thread!!! I leave tomorrow morning!

I know we all end up saying the same thing, but itâ€s amazing how fast the time flies when youâ€re planning a wedding. I canâ€t believe itâ€s almost my turn!

Itâ€s been a bit of whirlwind since the summer. FI proposed on March 1st, 2008 and we started planning our DW in April. 8 months in and weâ€re nearly there. Iâ€m so happy that we chose to get married in the Caribbean and canâ€t wait to finally get to Playa del Carmen and see our resort!

So without further ado, hereâ€s my planning thread! I hope itâ€s as fun for you guys as it was for me to put together!

The Proposal (and the Rings!)

FI proposed to me in a very weird way. I hope to write up our engagement story and post it on the forum. At any rate, I was quite surprised even though I had already picked out the E-ring that I loved. It was on the way back from a really great dinner out in Gatineau at the Lâ€Orée du Bois. FI got down in on one knee in the snow. When we got home, we took some pics with the camera on timer. This one became our ‘unofficial†engagement pic

Click the image to open in full size.

The ring, with my wedding band. Both are from Peopleâ€s jewellers Click the image to open in full size.

Our wedding bands. I bought FIâ€s band online from POMPEII3 JEWELRY It was about $195 and is 18K yellow gold. The same band at a store in town would have cost me easily $400. Great service, quick delivery and an amazing price and selection for gold bands. Check it out! I highly recommend the site.

The Resort

We chose Mexico because half of my family lives in Australia and it was the easiest ‘halfway†point in the Caribbean. FI had also been there and thought that the Mayan Riviera was a gorgeous area. After reading lots of reviews, we settled on the Viva Wyndham Azteca resort for our wedding. Then we went to Cuba together (my first ever time at an AI resort). When we got back, I really felt that I was more comfortable with a smaller, more intimate setting.

We went back to looking through TripAdvisor reviews and found the Shangri-La Caribe. It was really highly rated, with lots of repeat customers. And admittedly, the name sold me elefant.gif

Weâ€re staying in a Gardenview Superior (but FI just told me the other day that heâ€s upgraded us to ocean view!)

I also found on BDW that Sol and her husband had filmed a wedding at Shangri-La. It was beautiful. Check it out! http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t4276

Looking through that online album of another wedding at the Shangri-La really confirmed that the look of the resort was what we both would love.

Hereâ€s the ceremony set-up for the wedding, which will take place on the beach

The pool bar where weâ€ll have our cocktail hour after the ceremony:

There's more...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dress

I found my (1st) dress in May, with a friend. It was a beautiful ivory lace strapless dress from Alfred Angelo. I purchased it in August and picked it up in October. Unfortunately, I decided that I wasnâ€t comfortable with the way it looked on me. Iâ€m now trying to sell it. I talked about my issues surrounding this decision in the December 2008 brideâ€s thread.

In late October, I went out looking frantically for another dress. Luckily, I found an amazing dress that I absolutely adore! I went with my FMIL and my sister (one of my BMs). This is me right after I found it, in the store

They only had it in a size too big and in white. There wasnâ€t enough time to order it so I bought it right off the rack. Iâ€m in love with it! And me at my second fitting!

It's made by Raylia.

The fittings were brutal - that's a whole other story. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be ok with some double-sided tape on the straps, after 5+ fittins, $400 and a lot of stress. frown.gif Oh and it has like 15 bustles... LOL! S&M.gif

Bridesmaids

My bridesmaids are my 2 sisters. My friends and FIâ€s friends took so long to even RSVP that we didnâ€t want to ask people to be in our wedding party and then be disappointed. Even FIâ€s brother was wishy-washy about attending the wedding, so he wonâ€t have anyone standing up for him. My sisters will just stand on either side of us. Theyâ€ve been great since the beginning about the wedding (although they were terrible at deciding on a dress and getting one in the summer!).

BM Dresses:

Finally in September I gave my sisters a style that I liked and they went and tried it on. They loved it, fortunately, but it was really late at that point to order them in.

I ordered them online through Find Special Occasion Dresses, Flower Girl Dresses, Bridesmaid Dresses & More!. They were VERY helpful via email and I got them for $116 each US. With the shipping costs (one to Canada and one to Australia) and the terrible exchange rate at the time, they ended up being almost the same price they would have been in the store, but I would have had to pay taxes on top of that and pay for expedited shipping from the warehouse in the US. I figure that I saved about $60-$100 overall this way. And I had peace of mind.

The dresses are Mori Lee Affairs. I actually found them because another BDWer posted her party in a thread. Hereâ€s the other BDW inspiration pic. And then my sister modelling her dress (itâ€s fully altered – it was 4 sizes too big. They did a great job!):

Accessories

The BM shoes I got from Amazon.com for a crazy discount. They were regularly $70 and I bought them for $24 each with free shipping to the US! They are Kenneth Cole Reaction. I have a thread out there for all the shoes (I think it's called Shoe Extravaganza) :)

Hair inspiration for the BMs:

DIY Hair flowers I made for my BMs:

I posted a how-to thread on making these because it took a lot of trial and error to get such an easy job right! http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t32937

Another DIY project: I made these tanks for my sisters (and myself). Bought at Giant Tiger for $3 each and the iron-on crystals were from Walmart (about $15 worth)

Bridal Beauty:

I went to the new beauty store at Place Dâ€Orleans, Murale , last week and had a makeover. I purchased half of the items and the rest I got cheaper at Shopperâ€s. Among the great stuff I purchased was a fabulous foundation (Cargo), 2 great cream eyeshadows by Bobbi Brown that literally will not wipe off at all or crease or move (!), and a nice bronzer also by Cargo. I also love the lipgloss by Smashbox that I bought. jiggy.gif Now I just have to practice!

Hair inspiration: I plan to wear a hair flower under the veil and the veil over the updo.

My veil is very basic. I bought it from an internet seller and it was $25. Itâ€s 1 tier, about 32†long and plain cut edge. I wish Iâ€d bought something a bit bigger, but too late now!

My beautiful hair flower from Mikyae (Etsy):

My shoes (Coloriffics Amber pumps): purchased from Amazon.com

Groom

Suit

Purchased at Mexx in August. It was the only one in that colour left in the city, I swear. We had a hell of a time finding a light suit. We got it for about $115 on sale.

Him modeling it with the tie he'll be wearing, but he has a white shirt for the wedding!

Shoes: Sanuk Men's Paisano Sandal Shoe, ordered from Amazon.com. Approximately $70. They are too small, so weâ€re trying to stretch them out. They are cute and surfer-ish. Very light and comfortable (if they fit!)…

Pre-wedding brochure:

This took me forever to make. I did it all in Word in the end.

Our Ceremony programs: Click the image to open in full size. All materials are from Michaelâ€s. I love the corner punch!

Ceremony fans: Ordered from OTC. I sucked at wrapping the ribbon. Afterward, someone posted a great how-to. It was too late. And I was too tired to re-do them!

Jewelry:

All from the Bay. Approximately $80 for all. I got some good discounts. The necklace is Roots and I put it on a different chain.

I don't have time to take pics and upload them now sad.gif They are crystal and like pavé style. THe necklace is in the shape of a heart (very small) and the earrings are like drops. Nice and sparkly

OOT bags:

Purchased from cheaptotes.com I wish I had bought 24 instead of 12. I underestimated our number of guests and then had to re-order. The printable transfer paper was way cheaper when I bought it by the page through cheaptotes than when I went to the store here. Definitely wish Iâ€d bought more through cheaptotes. Order arrived very quickly.

Going in the OOT bags:

- Sudoku/word puzzle books +pencils

- Magazine (whatever I had laying around the house – Self, US, etc.)

- Breath mints and a pack of gum

- Notebooks from Michaelâ€s

- Bottles of Aloe vera gel we filled ourselves

- Magnetic picture frames and Playa del Carmen postcards – provided by our very own Katrina from BDW. (Thanks again!)

- First Aid kits (pic below)

- The cutest little Tropical themed luggage tags

Little binder with a few sheets in it – our Meet the Guests pages - the file is uploaded in this thread http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t32184 and a map of the area.

Crap! I forgot the welcome letter. Oh well.elefant.gif

I'm running around vacuuming like crazy and trying to tidy up. We leave at 9am tomorrow, so we have to go to the airport at around 6am. It's already 10:30. I don't think we'll be done with everything much before 12. I haven't been to the gym in 4 days and have been stress eating. But in less than 24hours we'll be in Mexico!

Thank you all for all your help and advice. I'll add to this because I know I've forgotten stuff.

Thanks! See you all when I get back! grouphug.gif

Program.doc

Ceremony Text - Kevsgirl.doc