Honeymoons Tahiti or Fiji?????

bride1212

My FI and I are trying to decide between both Tahiti and Fiji for our honeymoon or going to both. Has anyone ever been to either one of the above or have suggestions about places to stay, things to do etc.? They both just look beautiful and from what I have read they stated that Tahiti is like having your honeymoon in HD!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are doing Tahiti/Bora Bora 14 days in March. I read on the US Department of state website (travel.state.gov) the following about Fiji:

SAFETY AND SECURITY: While a state of emergency is no longer in effect, some basic rights remain uncertain. The independence of Fijiâ€s law enforcement and judicial systems appears compromised, putting into question protections ordinarily afforded by the rule of law. The Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to the Republic of Fiji at this time. While Fijiâ€s country situation appears calm on the surface, political, economic, and security uncertainties continue. It is possible that the security situation, especially in Suva, could deteriorate rapidly. American citizens in Fiji should remain vigilant, particularly in public places and near military activities in the greater Suva area, and should avoid demonstrations and large crowds. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful could turn confrontational and escalate into violence unexpectedly.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairâ€s web site at Welcome to Travel.State.Gov, where the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, including the Worldwide Caution, can be found.

I spent 2 weeks in Tahiti back in 1999 and loved it. I spent most of my time on the island of Moorea because I was broke and the big island of Tahiti was not so nice (dirty, big cruise ships, busy). Moorea was only a half hour away or something and like a different world. Very quite and beautiful.

I did a shark tour one day where we spent the day on a boat, ended up snorkeling while they fed sharks (!) and then petted sting rays.

I also did a horse trek up the middle of the island (jagged peaks) which was absolutely beautiful.

I loved it and I was staying in a cheap hostel and living on bread and Nutella. I bet for a honeymoon it would be perfect.

My mother and step-father go to a time-share in Fiji and have been 2x. It's way more remote-feeling.

The other thing about Tahiti is they speak French, so if you can, it's nice to be able to speak the language. And they have a lot of French colonial culture.

Fiji would be really fun though too.

I don't think you can lose either way. But I'd expect Tahiti to be more organized and tourist-catering and Fiji to be way more remote and wild.

• 11 months later...