Elegant beach theme and colour ideas?

Hi everyone,

So now that the hard part is over and we've chosen the destination, I have to start on the decorating. My fiancee and I would like an elegant theme, but we are getting married on the beach in the Dominican and our reception is at a poolside terrace, so we would like it to be casual-elegant (does that even exist?). Does anyone have ideas of colour schemes or themes outside the normal shell, sand castle, etc?

Thanks so much!

I totally agree that a monogram would be elegant and a great focal point/theme for an elegant wedding. I also think that orchids and bamboo are also elegant. I have seen a bunch of elegant weddings using the natural beach tones like browns, champagne, blues and greens. Good luck! I would love to hear and see what you decide on!

I'm going through the same thing. I'm having a hard time with a theme. I finally decided on the colors...Black, White, accents of Hot Pink and Silver....I just don't know how to incorporate everything. As for the monogram....is this something most people do, and where do I start??

Wow, thanks for the great ideas everyone. Actually my future mother-in-law is a graphic designer and has designed us a monogram already. But you're suggestions are making me realize we can really use it aside from the invitations. I also think the browns sound nice! Andie, I think Hot Pink and Silver is really fun and potentiallyelegant!

I too am planning a casual elegant beach wedding. I choose an all white ceremony with the isle decorated with palm fronds and orchids. My BM are wearing all white dresses with an aqua ribbon just to spice it up a little. Our colors are White with aqua and lime green. I found it at the knot.com It looks really classy and clean. Brown with aqua is very nice as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norskheather View Post
Hi everyone,

So now that the hard part is over and we've chosen the destination, I have to start on the decorating. My fiancee and I would like an elegant theme, but we are getting married on the beach in the Dominican and our reception is at a poolside terrace, so we would like it to be casual-elegant (does that even exist?). Does anyone have ideas of colour schemes or themes outside the normal shell, sand castle, etc?

Thanks so much!
It does exist!! ... First, I have a gallery, you might take a peek at with various themes. Second, here's a new event we just did that has the seashell idea incorporated into it, but not in a "seashell theme" sortof way:
Mexico Chic! Wedding - a set on Flickr

And, lastly, when I'm designing for someone's event, I ask them oodles of questions - what makes your event so super great and fantastic, is incorporating things that really mean something to the two of YOU personally. The types of questions I ask my brides are things like: what kind of music do you like, what kind of music do you like together, what are your favorite colors, what's your favorite vacation spot, what event did you go to that you loved and what did you like about it, etc etc etc. The point is to figure out what makes the two of you a couple and what you both love to do together - from there, your theme will emerge! And, if you want to incorporate the local culture (in your case the DR) I would do a search for photos for the DR - every day ones, cultural ones, artistic ones - so you can fusion your "couplehood" and the culture together!

I think monograms are a great idea if you love monograms! If that's something that you have in your life on a daily basis. But, if it isn't, then what else do you love together? Is it travel? Is it music? Is it movies? Is it eating out? Are you a fun couple? A romantic couple? An adventurous couple?

I.E. I had a couple who told me that they loved to travel and, everywhere they went, they liked to buy artistic paintings that represented the area they were at as their souvenir. So, we had an artist come and paint their ceremony as it was going on and offered little paintings of Vallarta to their guests as favors, that their guests could choose which ones they wanted. (this was all a surprise - I'm all about surprises!). It was a big hit! :)

Another couple traveled all over the world but their favorite place was Italy. They sent me a link to their website and, through-out their gallery, were photos of them in Italy. So, I brought Italy to Mexico! We had a long, long table for their reception table with wine bottles filled with roses and old-fashioned water glasses filled with candles. I saw a water bottle that showed-up in one of their photos and took that label then graphic designed their names and information on it for the centerpieces. The sections of the table were named after places they loved to travel together. ETC ETC ETC.

My point is, once you find the focal part of you as a couple, that's where your theme and colors and ideas will emerge and it will be even more special because the wedding is all about the two of you! :)

Any questions, just let me know! :):)