My Aunt is getting put on Hospice (UPDATED)...

Alyssa

Wow - I am so sad sad.gif

Some of you may remember a couple months ago after we got back from our VDay trip to Arizona, I came back to a bunch of drama...one of those things was my Aunt going to L.A. to have experimental surgery on a Brain Tumor she has had growing in her Brain for the last 7 to 8 years. The tumor was not cancerous but kept growing and starting wrapping around parts of her brain. It was pushing on her eye socket and started to affect her vision, her memory, her balance and her general well-being.

She has continued to get worse and got opinions from some of the best Brain Surgeons, most did not want to operate as they felt it was too risky. She made the decision to get surgery in January in Los Angeles from a very well known reseracher - it was risky but there wasn't really much hope left for any quality of life without it.

Well, things have gone from bad to worse...she contacted Meningitis in the hospital in L.A. and was able to recover from that only to get a blood clot in her leg - which was not treatable b/c the clotting medicine was not compatible with the recent brain surgery.

She has been in and out of the hospital since December and hasn't been out of a hospital bed this time since late February.

Last week, she went into a vegetative state and they did an MRI, the Dr. said that her brain is gone...like soup. Literally.

So, she was transferred yesterday for a 2nd opinion and the consensus is that there is nothing left to do. Fluid is backing up into her lungs, she has a feeding tube and is not responsive. My mom said that when she was there this morning, Aunt D slightly nodded at her when she told her she loved her.

Now they are having a meeting about where to do the hospice frown.gif

It just seems so shocking and fast - like she had surgery in December and now is going to die - I really am still in shock - I thought she was going to overcome this and survive - she is only 64.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh alyssa. im so sorry. i have tears in my eyes right now. if there is anything i can do for you please please let me know. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. love you xoxoxo

Oh honey, I'm sooooo sorry. 2008 just isn't turning out to be a good year for you, is it? (My 2006 was like that.) I wish I was coming on Sunday so I could give you a big hug (and buy you a drink.) Please let me know if I can do anything for you. I'm praying for your aunt. Hang in there.

Alyssa...I am SO sorry to hear about this. I do remember hearing about it initially, but had hoped that things would improve. I know this must be incredibly difficult for you...I'm so so sorry!

I know there's nothing I can do to make this better, but just know that I'm thinking of your family and wishing I could give you a big hug!

Alyssa,

Im soo sooo sorry your having to go through this. You poor thing have been through hell and back with everything thats been going on with you and have been amazingly strong through it all. Please let us know if there is ANYTHING any of us can do for you. You and family will definetly be in my thoughts.