DR/Riu Palace Macao Pics and Review

Hola, just back from my girls trip to Punta Cana and Riu Palace Macao. I was asked to share some pics so here they are. I will also tell you a little about my experience, if I dont cover it here just PM me and I will answer your question as best I can. I could not get pics of the airport as my camera is large and was in my checked luggage. But the airport is fairly nice (the departure side is nicer then the arrival side). It is covered with the traditional thatch roof. But as soon as you exit customs you are harassed by all sorts of people who act like they are with your tour company. They only want to carry your baggage for a tip so just say no thank you and keep walking. The ride to the resort is a bit scary doesnt seem to be any traffic laws or signals but hey it gets you there fairly quicly. About 30minutes from airport to RPM.

The resort is gorgeous!! Lobby is very pretty. Staff was not as friendly as I had heard they would be but could just be the language issue. A lot of the staff does not speak any English so learning the basics in Spanish is very helpful. Those who do speak both Englsh and Spanish seem to be patient and enjoy teaching you Spanish. The crowd at RPM is a little older. Not as many activites as expected. No swim up bar. Was very windy while we were there but we braved it and went to the beach as much as possible, FABULOUS!!!!! Rooms were good size, had musty smell but got use to that after a day or two. Mattresses were awful! But so tired at end of the day only really noticed that in the morning. Need outlet adapter but you can get them from front desk for a $5 returnable deposit. The elevators were very scary, small and made strange sounds. But gave us reason to use stairs for a little bit of exercise. Food was decent but never left a meal actually full, which I guess is good anyway.

Here are some pics, again I didnt want to be too long winded but if you have any questions please let me know:

Click the image to open in full size.

Caribe Grill:

Awesome! Thanks for posting! I think I need to let a lot of our guests know about the harrassment at the airport b/c many have never traveled internationally and won't know what to do with people coming up to them like that. Should they simply keep looking until they see someone with a sign that has their name on it or what's the best advice as far as finding your tour company for the transfer?

When you arrive you and whoever you are with take your picture with two women dressed in traditional attire. Then upon your departure the pics are posted by airline for you to look at and purchase if you want. No idea about cost on the pic though, ours was awful!

As far as the tour company, if you booked with Apple Vacations they are obvious because they are all in Hawaiin shirts. The other tour companies all have little stands that make it harder to find them but just keep looking at the stands for the right name of your tour company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy106 View Post
The other tour companies all have little stands that make it harder to find them but just keep looking at the stands for the right name of your tour company.
Thanks for letting us know about this -- it will really help with our guests who aren't world travelers and not familiar with customs and the scamming baggage peeps. :-)

Thanks for the tip about the tour companies. I will defitenly alert my guests to be fully aware!

Sorry, on more question. Can you give me an estimate of how many people were in a van/bus from the airport pickup? I want to make sure my group flying in together can stay together as much as possible, as many have never traveled internationally before! Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
Thanks for the tip about the tour companies. I will defitenly alert my guests to be fully aware!

Sorry, on more question. Can you give me an estimate of how many people were in a van/bus from the airport pickup? I want to make sure my group flying in together can stay together as much as possible, as many have never traveled internationally before! Thanks again
The tour company we used had just us on the way to the hotel (so 3) but then on the way to the airport when we were leaving they crammed the little van full with 6 of us and our luggage. Thank goodness for air conditioning that actually worked.cheer2.gif