Taking a wedding dress on airplane

Hi Puerto Vallarta brides. I was wondering if anyone has advice about how to take my dress to PV. I'm thinking that I want to take it on the airplane so it won't get lost. Do any of you have experience with this? Its a simple dress and not easily wrinkled and I've heard that sometimes they will put it in a closet somewhere onboard.

Thanks!

My brother recently got married in Las Vegas, and his wife was told to just let the airline know ahead of time. They called beforehand and was told it would be fine. When they checked in they told them again, and was told once again, it would be fine. However once on the plane they did not have any room left in the 1st class closet and simply put her dress in the overhead compartment. Which then, a man came and literally SHOVED his overhead bag into the compartment. Her dress was in a lump when she got it out at the end of the flight. Luckily, the hotel in Vegas had it steamed and perfect for her on the day of the wedding.

Moral of the story....let them know WAY beforehand and demand that it goes in the closet before boarding!

The closets are first come first serve (unfortunately) but when I flew to PV our flight was empty and it was able to go in the first class closet with no problem.

If it ends up in an overhead bin I would recruit a flight attendant to make sure nobody does what that guy above did. Also, mine was slightly wrinkled but with the humdity in PV in June the wrinkles fell right out...lol

Hi wink.gif

My mom took it for me. She had the airlines put it in the closet at the front of the plane. They actually offered to do it. The problem remember to get it. hahahaha Mine was a shealth style so not bulky. We had no issue with getting it on the plane or through customs. I hung it on the door and let it fall out on its own. Depending upon where you will marry the sand is a hard place to walk through. I actually brought another dress to change into after the pics so I could enjoy walking around. My dress was so dirty at the bottom. Then I did a trash the dress photo shoot and it actually cleaned it up some. hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

This was northwest airlines reply to my emailed question about taking my dress on board...

Carry-on luggage will be limited to one piece plus one of the following:

a purse, briefcase, or laptop computer for all flights. A carry-on

piece can have a total linear measurement of up to 45 inches. On all

Northwest jet aircraft, a closet is available in the cabin of the

aircraft to store some items. This closet is relatively small, it is

not full length and a large wedding gown would be compressed in the

closet. The space for this closet is available on a first-come,

first-served basis. Therefore, kindly explain to the agent at your

departure gate the need for you to store your wedding dress on board the

aircraft. If space is available, we will be happy to accommodate your

special request.

Hope this helps a little!

Regardless of airline policy it also depends on the crew working that day.. I asked (in a very sweet voice) if we could board a little early to put my dress in the closet.. the jerk (man) behind the counter said no.. I think he was mad that I was going to wear a pretty white dress and he was having a bad morning.. Anyhow, I put it in closet (you don't want your dress in their first anyhow because everyone will put their stuff on top).. It wasn't full length but we hung it and laid it on top of some other bags.. it was fine.. it got more wrinkled from being folded over my sweaty arm than from hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyandadam View Post
what are some of the airlines who are fairly accomodating? We haven't booked our flight yet !
From what I have read so far, most airlines have the same policy. It just depends on the people working. Pray for happy mornings! :)

I'm scared because I'm flying spring break (so so stupid!) and I doubt they will be as accomodating. We shall see, but my dress WILL NOT be checked. I'll wear it before that happens.