New Barcelo Maya Photographer policy (NO OUTSIDE PHOTOGS)

Here we go again... In the past, Barcelo had a deal with Photo Caribbean studio and 100% forbid outside photographers / videographers and due to popular demand, changed the policy and added a $300 fee to allow us on the property. We have known this policy to exist for little than 1 year or so.

While the fee was high (not highest though, Karisma has 1st place for that $500) it at least provided brides with an option.

We recommend BDWF try and voice your opinion, as a collective, you have made a difference in the past and you may possibly be able to persuade them to keep the option to hire the photographer / videographer of your dreams as an option...

We received this email yesterday:

Estimados fotografos,

Me informan una nueva politica para el Hotel Barcelo Maya......

Les envio la firma que se esta enviando a las novias que tienen programada su boda para el año 2009, 2010, 2011. Si ustedes tienen alguna boda confirmada, por favor hangamelo saber antes del martes 7 de julio.

Barceló Maya Beach Resort has an exclusive contract with a photographer and does not allow external photographers in hotel premises under any circumstances. For information and prices please contact:

PHOTO CARIBBEAN

Photography & Video Service:

photocaribbean@hotmail.com

www.fotocaribbean.com.mx

011 +52 (984) 875-1500 ext. 1540

IMPORTANT: if you have already booked photography services please let us know by Tuesday July 7th. Please be advised that there is a fee of $300USD to be paid by your Photographer to Photo Caribbean directly.

If we don't hear from you by Tuesday July 7th, we will assume you have not contracted photography services and that you will be using Photo Caribbean.

Thank you,

Gabriela Barbabosa

Coordinadora de Bodas / Wedding Coordinator

Tel / Phone: + 52 (984) 875.15.00 ext. 6767

Fax: + 52 (984) 875.15.24

e-mail: weddings1@barcelomaya.com

web site: Barcelo Hotels & Resorts - Hotel – Hoteles

To close, I would like to say that it has been a Pleasure working with Gabriela in the past 12 or so months. She is very delightful and SOOOOO nice and has always been exceptionally hospitable. This policy is a red tape issue that she likely has 0% control over, but I'm sure she can voice her opinion to the people who may be able to make a change. I'm almost sure she wants there to be an option for brides in this regard.

I'll cross my fingers that this policy can change!

matt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do think it is fair for resorts to have a preferred vendor list or charge some sort of fee because not all wedding vendors are the same caliber, i think it is really disappointing when brides are not given a choice on which vendors they can use.

i know for me, it would have swayed my decision on which resort i would have chosen to have my destination wedding at.

This is extremely disappointing! I originally booked Barcelo only because their policy had changed to allow outside photographers. Then, they told me I had to pay $300. Now, no outside photographers at all??! I hope they realize they will loose a lot of wedding business from this. I just e-mailed them since I already have my photographer booked. I appreciate the heads up!

When I was researching resorts, the first thing I was looking at was whether they allowed outside photographers, because I knew I didn't want to use a resort photographer. I hope Barcelo looses a lot of business over this policy.

Usually you can get around it by bringing a photographer with you (although in some cases the resort will now allow a said "guest" to use professional photography equipment) but it means you can't use any of the great local photographers.

Here's what I know about current policies here:

Moon Palace and all Palace Resorts - No outside vendors unless guests

RIU Palace Resorts - No outside vendors unless guests

Dreams Cancun - Only approved vendors from their list

Karisma Resorts (El Dorado ROYALE, Azul Beach and Sensatori) - $500 outside vendor fee - RFC # (tax ID) required from vendor

Iberostar Resorts - $300 outside vendor fee

Royal Resorts - $100 outside vendor fee

Most resorts require only a day pass for each vendor/assistant - These resorts include

Dreams Tulum, Princess, Grand Bahia Principe and Grand Palladium.

This is just based on our recent experience so maybe we can compile a list that covers them all with everyone's input. Only the All Inclusives have strict policies. You won't have any issues with smaller hotels and privately planned events.