Dad is in hospital, we leave in 2 days

Nonnie

I woke up this morning to find out that my mom had to take my dad to a walk in clinic, and then to emergency. Apparently he has had a mental breakdown, about the wedding, work etc. I never picked up on any of this before, and he never showed any signs. They admitted him, and now he won't be able to come to the wedding. We leave early Thursday morning.

He feels awful and guilty, like he ruined my big day, but I know it's not his fault. I initially wanted to call it all off, but my mom and Grandma pointed out that he would feel even more guilty about that, and never forgive himself. Now the one person I really really wanted to be there can't be.

I'm going to try and have someone videotape the ceremony, we were not going to do that but now it's a must. I'm also going to need to find someone else to read the sand ceremony reading, which I wrote with my dad in mind as the speaker. I'm also going to have to have the father daughter dance removed from the playlist, and I was honestly looking forward to that more then the first dance.

I'm devastated, and I can't stop crying

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I got teary eyed reading your post, this isn't an easy situation to be dealing with right now. I would have to agree with your mom and grandmother though that calling it off would devastate your dad. I hope that you are able to get everything videotaped so your dad can be there with you on your big day.

Oh Nonnie, I'm so sorry this is happening. I can't imagine how you must feel. How long will he be in the hospital? I'm sure you've thought of every possible option so I don't know if I can suggest anything to help. I've wondered about a Skype option for my grandparents who won't make it to the wedding. Where are you getting married? Keep your head up, hopefully things will work out for the best.

Noonie! I am so sorry to hear that! But your family is right - he I'm sure wants you to go and I'm sure would feel horrible if you cancelled. If you are doing an AHR you can do all those things you would have done on your trip. This is the one time in your life you should be a little selfish and not let this ruin one of the most important days of your life! Everything will work out for you in the end - just make sure you enjoy yourself while you are there! Have fun and good luck!

OH hun hang in there. Im sorry this is going on but atleast your dad is getting help. Dont cancel your dad wouldnt want that. Enjoy your day and I know it will be hard not having him there but it will be OK. The main reason for you getting married is to be with the man you love united as one. Just know your dad will be thinking of you each step of the way. If you dont go it may be harder on your dad.

I went to visit him, he was trying to convince us that since there are 2 nurses in our group he should be able to make it work, but it's just not possible. he needs the kind of care he can get at a hospital, an I would hate for something to happen in the DR and he has to go to a hospital there. I've been to a hospital in Costa Rica, and they are terrible.